Outlook Express on XP Pro MSOERES.DLL could not be found

Audio~~Chip 19:27 09 Jan 14
Answered

I had problems installing windows updates over Christmas.

A week later I am unable to open Outlook Express in IE.8 on my XP Pro SP3 desktop.

I get the error "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOERES.DLL could not be found. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly.

I have tried chkdsk, SFC recovery under windows and Fixboot, malware and virus scans, uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer, searched the forum, tried dll download website to zip extract it into windows. Looked in Outlook Express folder to see the missing dll file is still there.

Any other ideas please I could try

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 09 Jan 14

MSOE.DLL COULD NOT BE LOADED This error can occur if one or more *.dbx files in the current store folder are set as Read-only. Close OE and open the store folder in Windows Explorer. Select all files, then right-click on any one and select Properties. Uncheck the box for "Read only", leaving only the "archive" bit checked.

or

Outlook Express and Internet Explorer share many files. Perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes up, select Repair. Click OK.

Also, you can get to the IE Tools menu by clicking Start > Run and type

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE8Maintenance

If still no joy, uninstall and reinstall Outlook Express.

Audio~~Chip 20:51 09 Jan 14

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ Happy New Year to you !

Can you explain where the Store Folder is please. I have Windows Explorer open and navigated to the Outlook Express Folder within Programmes. I am unable to open Outlook Express from IE and from XP Strat Programme list.

Cheers Steven

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:25 09 Jan 14

C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Application Data\ Identities\"string of letters and numbers"\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Audio~~Chip 21:43 09 Jan 14

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ navigated to the folder turned hidden files on and the folder was empty.

Audio~~Chip 10:27 10 Jan 14

There is no files or folder inside this folder following the path. I also have show hidden files selected.

C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Application Data\ Identities\"string of letters and numbers"\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:25 10 Jan 14

Do a search for

*.dbx

to find where the files are located.

Audio~~Chip 21:46 10 Jan 14

I found them and they were in C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Local Settings\Application Data\ Identities\"string of letters and numbers"\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Non of the Property boxes were checked. There are just Read only & Hidden which were unchecked.

So I take it the dbx files are fine. I made a backup of my Emails and address book just before Christmas. Just need to get the Outlook Express working. There is no repair option for IE.8 I did reset IE8 from advanced settings but no luck so uninstalled and reinstalled with no fix. I unchecked Outlook Express from XP Add/remove windows programmes rebooted and selected tick box which didn't seem to re install it was so quick.

Any other ideas please.

michaelw 08:27 11 Jan 14

If it's Office 2010 try this:

Windows XP (only for Office 2010)

Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
Click the Office program you want to repair, and then click Change.
Click Repair > Continue.

You might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

Audio~~Chip 22:50 11 Jan 14

Hello michaelw

I have Office 2003 installed.

Thanks Steven

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:38 12 Jan 14

IF you have your windows XP CD pop it in. Go to start,run type cmd and press enter

Type sfc /scannow and press enter.

widows will run the file checker and replace any missing or corrupt windows files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…