Outlook Express, Word attachments to e-mail

airbornenot 15:14 14 Oct 05

MS XP Home, MS Works, SP2.
1. On computer start up, the noise associated with an error message occurs, but the message only flashes for a split second and cannot be read.
2.On opening Word attachments to e-mails in Outlook Express, an error message appears in front of the opened document. If OK is selected the document shuts down.
3.Error message is headed - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. The message says, Runtime Error. Program:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE. abnormal program termination.
4. If a Word document is now opened in "My Documents", on return to Outlook Express, Word attachments to e-mails open normally until the computer is shut down.
5. This started recently for no apparent reason. I thought that a system restore had cured it, but it had not. I had the same error message years ago when working on Word documents, but not in Outlook Express.
6. The only reference that I can find at Microsoft (No322201), only addresses the problem of getting the message when closing a Word document, not when opening it and not in Outlook Express. It seems as if a link from Outlook Express is missing until the path is opened in another application.
Does anyone have any ideas please?

curlylad 01:01 15 Oct 05

Have a look here click here it explains how to do a repair of Outlook Express which may help.

airbornenot 09:08 15 Oct 05

Thanks Curlylad, I will investigate. IE6 works perfectly, it is only when I try to open an attached Word document. It seems as if a path is incomplete for Word. What puzzles me is that the document opens, but is fronted by the error message and nothing can be done with it. Then if I close Outlook Express and open a Word document in My Documents, I can go back to Outlook Express and the e-mail Word attachments now open normally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…