Outlook Express in Windows XP

xania 00:51 08 Apr 05

Without going into too much detail about how I got where I am, I currently have an old, non-bootable, version of XP with all my latest e-maikls on them, and I need to get the data back if possible. I am aware of Outlook Express and the backup facilities within Outloo Express, but don't have access to either to solve this problem. So. I have identified that, in Windows SE, all the mailbox structure is held in a directory Windows/Application Data/Identities/random string of characters; but does anyone knopw where the structuyre ect is held in Windows XP Pro?

Many thanks.

DieSse 01:17 08 Apr 05

On mine it's in

C:\Documents and Settings\nnnnnn\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D997F48C-4662-4B8E-B505-3C616FE26982}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Where nnnnnn will be your user name

xania 21:04 08 Apr 05

Thanks, but my version does not seems to have this. And to be safe, I've done a clean install, and created a OE6 account with folders, but the system does not show any of this at all. I may have to accept that I've lost about 4 days of e-mails and hope nothing important crops up.

Thank you for trying - I know this is a tricky one.

DieSse 00:12 09 Apr 05

You may not be able to find it if your system is set to not show hidden and system files.

Go to Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View and tick the box "Show hidden files and folders".

I can assure you that my XPPro installation is perfectly normal, and the folders will reside there.

lotvic 20:36 09 Apr 05

Methinks that these need further explanation.....

"I currently have an old, non-bootable, version of XP with all my latest e-maikls on them, and I need to get the data back if possible. I am aware of Outlook Express and the backup facilities within Outloo Express, but don't have access to either to solve this problem."

"I've done a clean install, and created a OE6 account with folders, but the system does not show any of this at all"

are the emails on a seperate harddrive, backup cd or what......

westwit 00:44 10 Apr 05

Try doing a search for *.dbx. This should find all your Outlook Express email folders wherever they are on the disk.

SANTOS7 00:55 10 Apr 05

click here
this may help...

xania 21:06 10 Apr 05

Thanks for all contributions, esp DieSse - yes I had thought of that one, but they're still not there. Still its my own fault for forgetting that final backup before making the desired changes.

Hilotvic - sounds like you're like me. Tried a duial boot system and then found out that it doesn't like users tampering with it. I think this might be the subject of a new stream - i'll start it up shortly and lets see what comes of it.

Menawhile, I know there I've only a few missing emails so I decided to give up on this for the present.

lotvic 21:24 10 Apr 05

methinks that I will have to make sure that when I quote parts of a post, it looks like a quote!

and when I ask a question I will put a Q in front and a ? at the end :))

sorry for the confusion :(

I was looking for more info on your problem. As you said you had done a 'clean install' I thought that your email messages must be on seperate backup media.

look forward to your new thread on 'dual boot' problems.

I learn a lot from this forum - and it's fun

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…