Outlook Express Version 6 - backup

Steve101 17:35 02 Feb 04

Could someone tell me how I can backup Outlook Express version 6 - so that if I had to restore outlook I would have a record of e mails and addresses.

Any advice please

Thanks

Steve

Diodorus Siculus 17:41 02 Feb 04

Backup the address book by opening it and choosing, file, export.

Don't know about the emails - but I'm sure someone here does and will provide enlightenment

Steve101 18:34 02 Feb 04

Hopefully someone will know about e mails.

Steve

Diodorus Siculus 19:02 02 Feb 04

click here - one guide here; I hope it is of some use.

bvw in bristol 20:20 02 Feb 04
  Newuser341 20:47 02 Feb 04

Can anyone point me to how to back up OE6/XP address book groups please ?
Thank you
Terry

Diodorus Siculus 21:16 02 Feb 04

OE6/XP address book

Does the export function do it for you? (I don't use OE so don't know about it other than what I have done for others.)

PC Advice Sir 21:28 02 Feb 04

I even did this from my old Windows 98 PC to my new XP PC.

Locate the folder from where you wish to retrieve your old emails:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\XXX

Copy the folder IDENTITIES and/or its contents, then save it to some removable media such as a CD-RW...then go to File>Import>Messages>Outlook Express 6 then browse/navigate to the location where you copied/saved your messages, and hey presto...after the import process has completed -all your emails & folders with your new ones.

Well it worked for me! Let me know how you get on :-)

Newuser341 21:30 02 Feb 04

As I understand it, the export function will not export groups; just the comma-deliminated address book. Strangely, a search for *.wab files is XP pro draws a blank....
Terry

Steve101 23:57 02 Feb 04

Thank you all of you that took the time to respond...............it's appreciated.

Steve :-)

Blott 06:58 03 Feb 04

Backing up E-Mails

In OE - go to files>folder>compact all folders.

Then
Dig down into C:\windows\application data\Identities\FBEDAE0-11.......\Microsoft

and you will find a lot of files with .dbx extension.

Copy these to your backup.

If you need to restore them, just copy back into that directory.

However - there is a very handy little application called DBXtract, which allows you to read emails stored in the .dbx files from whereever they are.
I use this regularly to read archived emails on CD and it has saved my bacon several times.

Perhaps someone else could direct you to DBExtraxt, as I have just realised that I have no idea how to insert a link into this message.

Regards
Blott

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…