outlook express upgrade problems

First Bass 18:58 22 Apr 07

A friend of mine has recently upgraded from OE5 to OE6 but found that all his addresses and saved emails have vanished. Is there any way for him to restore these items?

Gongoozler 19:06 22 Apr 07

For the emails, use Windows Explorer to search for any files with the extension .dbx, eg there should be files called inbox.dbx, outbox.dbx, sent items.dbx etc. Then in Outlook Express click on Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store folder. If the location is the same as the dbx files you found then your friend may have lost the emails. If, however you find two sets of dbx files of the same name but in different locations then you can simply copy the set not in the place revealed as the Store folder and past them in there. I hope this makes sense!

First Bass 20:19 22 Apr 07

Thanks! Makes good sense. I guess a file search might locate the .dbx files and maybe the .wab stuff too? Forgot to mention that XP is the OS in question.

Gongoozler 09:24 23 Apr 07

Whatever you do - don't change the store folder from within Outlook Express to the location of the old files. That will overwrite the old files with the empty new ones!

First Bass 21:24 30 Apr 07

Thanks for your postings Gongzooler.
This is sadly what has happened. I guess the moral here is this, keep a back up copy of dbx and wab (address book) files!

Gongoozler 08:51 01 May 07

I'm sorry to hear that the files are lost. In future I suggest that you do what I did when I used to use Outlook Express. Copy all the DBX files to a backup folder, preferably on another drive. Also copy the little utility DBXtract click here for the free version (in spite of what it says on the site, it does work with XP - it doesn't even need to be installed, the exe file works directly on the DBX file), or the newer more sophisticated version for a small charge click here. You can then read the saved emails without having to import them into Outlook Express. DBXtract also has some success with corrupted DBX files. DBXtract can't extract individual emails though, it works on the whole DBX file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now