Outlook express - Unable to open message store

reburner57 21:15 14 Jun 04

Get the above error message when I try to run outlook express (on XP Home) click through it and Otlook won't run because MSOE.dll could not be initialized.

Have searched the forum and google and the Microsoft references to this apply to win98 & ME.

One thing I have noticed is that the outlook folder contains a file named ~ which is showing as modified yesterday.

Other files in this folder are :
msimn msoe msoe.dll oeimport.dll oemig50 oemiglib.dll setup50 wab wabfind.dll wabimp.dll wabmig

Is there anything obviously missing. Should there be a .dbx file.

Have tried going back to last restore point but it made no difference.

Any input much appreciated.

Fruit Bat 22:11 14 Jun 04

Other files in this folder are : msimn msoe msoe.dll oeimport.dll oemig50 oemiglib.dll setup50 wab wabfind.dll wabimp.dll wabmig

have:- 13 files in OE folder

msimn.err msimn.exe msoe.dll msoe.txt msoeres.dll oeimport.dll oemig50.exe oemiglib.dll setup50.exe wab.exe wabfind.dll wabimp.dll wabmig.exe

msimn.err has todays date

THE TERMINATOR 22:14 14 Jun 04

The ~ file is caused by a windows XP update by microsoft and it seems they havn't found a cure for it yet.It is caused by making changes to your address book and can be safely deleted. Have you tried to uninstall and re-install OE (it's not too big a program)to get it working properley?

reburner57 07:12 15 Jun 04

I've tried removing outlook by adding remove programs in control panel and then selecting add remove windows components but this seems to have no affect. Is there a manual way of doing this for XP or does anyone else have any idea what is actually wrong ?

MAJ 10:30 15 Jun 04

Your .dbx files will be in OE's Store Folder, reburner57. To find the Store Folder, go to Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Sore Folder button and you will see the location of the Store Folder. It will be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\reburner57\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{EBAA42A5-BC2B-4180-8B5D-544B0FE76DDD}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to that folder, highlight the .dbx files, right-click and choose Properties, and make sure none of them are set to "Read Only". If any of them are, reset their attribute to Archive. Click Apply and OK if necessary. Then see if you still get the MSOE.dll error.

reburner57 19:43 16 Jun 04

Thanks Maj but unfortunately no files were read only. Any other ideas or tips on uninstalling and reinstalling outlook ???????

reburner57 16:39 18 Jun 04

bump

beeuuem 17:25 18 Jun 04

You could try a repair using the instructions from
click here

reburner57 21:15 18 Jun 04

Thanks beeuuem. I do not appear to be able to amend the registry to make outlook appear uninstalled. I haset both value on the prescribed path to 0 but Xp still thinks it is installed.

scannow didn't turn up any problems. This problem is drinving me nuts and I've not had any e-mail for a week.

One additional piece of info is that the 3 other XP users I have set up are all able to use Outlook fine. It's just me (the admin) who is having problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…