Outlook Express/ Tiscali/ Talktalk email problem.

muddypaws 09:29 13 Oct 14
Answered

XP Home. For the last few days the only emails I have received are a couple from well known stores. No private ones that I know have been sent to me. More strangely they don't appear in TT web mail in box either. I can send from my OE Tiscali account to my gmail address, but not vice versa.

I have checked all pop3 settings and all message rules and blocked senders' lists in OE and all is OK.

Never come across this before. Don't particular want to change my email address. Just wonder if a password change would correct it in case messages are being syphoned off.

Advice please.

Thanks

muddypaws 10:41 13 Oct 14

Further to my last:

I can send from my TT.net address to my Tiscali address from my Nexus and message appears in my Tiscali in box on the Nexus. I do not open it, but then check OE on the PC. Nothing there. Re-open email app on Nexus the message is there for a split second then vanishes. Check webmail and not there.

Woolwell 11:04 13 Oct 14

Using pop then I am not surprised that emails are not available on all devices. You have to have them set to retain on the server. For use with a tablet and a computer imap is better.

The other problem about private emails may be due to spam filters. There seem to be nothing wrong with your email address because the well known store emails (using the same address) are getting through. Have you checked the webmail spam/junk folder?

muddypaws 11:26 13 Oct 14

Woolwell

Thanks for reply. I have used the same settings for 10 years without a problem, also the same on N7 and Samsung phone. but note what you say.

I have no options to delete at server checked.

I have just ordered an item on ebay so will see if I get any notifications.

Nothing in OE deleted or web spam folders.

spuds 11:29 13 Oct 14

Not sure if this as anything to do with the question, but every so often TalkTalk seem to have varied email problems with their website. It went through such an event the other day, but was corrected eventually.

If you are having email collection problems, then there might be a way around this, for short term. Try using the following link, using the advanced security mode click here

muddypaws 11:32 13 Oct 14

Paypal have acknowledged on Nexus ( Tiscali address) but nothing in OE.

Whilst typing it has vanished from Nexus and if it was in webmail it has gone from there. !!

muddypaws 11:37 13 Oct 14

spuds

Used that many moons ago. It wont connect at the moment.

muddypaws 11:42 13 Oct 14

Connected, but no mails since a John Lewis one yesterday.

Woolwell 12:26 13 Oct 14

It will be gone from webmail if the items are not being left on the server. Suggest that you double check the Nexus.

Batch 12:35 13 Oct 14

I use a tiscali account (several in fact) and working fine.

Is it possible that your email has been hacked and the reason that you are seeing the emails fleetingly is that the hacker is accessing and downloading the emails without leaving a copy on the server?

Alternatively, as others have intimated, you have a configuration issue with "leaving messages on server" not being set on devices other than your main PC.

Personally I use a mixture of POP and IMAP. I have my main (desktop) PC set up to use POP3 (with leave messages on server not set) so that everything is downloaded and removed from the cloud. All other devices (laptop, netbook, tablet, phone) use POP3 (with messages left on server) or IMAP. To be quite honest I really ought to change the POP3 usage on everything but the main PC to IMAP but I've never got round to it.

lotvic 12:54 13 Oct 14

Also check under View that you have it set to 'Show all emails' as it seems to me that you could have it set to 'only show unread messages' (or similar depending on which prog you use).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…