Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good
Anyone come across this problem?
Under XP, you try to open Outlook Express and it reports: 'Outlook Express cannot open because another instance is already running.'
There is no other instance of OE running. Task Manager doesn't show it running. Even restarting the computer and then trying to open OE produces the above report.
Any ideas on solving this, please?
When you say 'try again', do you mean restart the computer and try launching OE again, or just end msimn.exe and then launch OE (without restarting)?
prog should just relaunch, "should" me fingers is crossed...
OK - I can't try it now, as my neighbour (who has the problem) is out. But I'll give it a bash tomorrow.
Thanks very much for your thoughts.
Any idea what caused the problem?
Its called computing, quite common or I have no idea,just another minor "OH i wish it worked" I get loads....
Sometimes just unplugging it and leaving it off for a few minutes works. It has to be unplugging from the mains as a PC's off/on switch often leaves the power on the board.
I'll report back tomorrow, when I've had a go at the problem.
Hope my neighbour's got some chocolate biscuits...!
Right - I spent a couple of hours on this problem, this afternoon (and not a choccy biccy to be had).
First, as MAT ALAN suggested, I ended msimn.exe on the Processes tab of the Task Manager. The OE error report then disappeared. But when I tried to launch OE again, it's splash screen came up and just hung. There was no further error report of "another instance already running" but OE just wouldn't get past the splash screen.
So I switched off and unplugged from the mains for 10 minutes. After restarting, no change.
After that, here's what I tried:-
1. I deleted all spam emails from my neighbour's Tiscali mailbox, via webmail.
2. I ran System Restore to roll the computer back to a date before the problem arose. This ran successfully but did not resolve the problem
3. I also ran System Restore in Safe Mode. Ditto result.
4. I deleted all temporary internet files from Internet Explorer (this may appear to be irrelevant, but I believe Outlook Express does, in fact, make use of the same folder)
5. I re-registered Outlook Express (Run> msimn /reg)
6. I re-registered the libraries (Run> regsvr32 xxxxxxx.dll) This had the following results:-
urlmon.dll - successful
mshtml.dll - error report "mshtml.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file can not be registered".
shdocvw.dll - successful
browseui.dll - successful
msjava.dll - error report "LoadLibrary ('msjava.dll') failed. The specified module could not be found".
7. I ran a scan with the System File Checker, which asked for the Windows system disk many times. I was unable to insert this in order to complete the process, because she hasn't got an XP recovery disk.
After every stage of this process, trying to launch OE had the same effect - it hung at the splash screen.
So I gave up. :o(
Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this problem, please, bearing in mind that there's no XP disk available?
Occasionaly I have come across instances when AVG antivirus has caused problems with OE, also had problems due to a large number of files in inbox.
She doesn't run AVG, but in a subsequent conversation she has admitted that just before the problem began she downloaded an email with a large load of photo attachments.
I wish she'd told me that before!
However, as I can't open OE to do a clean-up of the Inbox, I'm not sure what I can do about it.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.