Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…
Thanks to all who have helped me sort out my husband's virus-infested work computer. Now I have something else to deal with for him.
Outlook Express (v6, I think, along with Win98) is causing problems, and has been for a while. From what I can make out, this probably stems from when the virus first appeared.
When you first start it up, all seems fine. The dial-up box appears, and if you connect at that point, there is no problem--messages are checked for and all works fine.
However, if you click "cancel/work offline", the problems start.
When a message is written, and you click "send/receive", the machine goes through the motions of trying to send emails and of trying to look for them. But the computer is offline, dial-up box does not appear, and after hanging around for ages, the "send/receive" box reports an error message within the send/receive dialogue box (is that what it is called?). Also, since I ran the virus checks and so on, a dialogue box appears now, instead of the error message, asking for the user name and password for the email account; when you click OK, it just reappears repeatedly. Meanwhile there is no connection to the internet, and no dial-up box appears, so nothing more happens. The only way I could trigger the dial-up box to appear was to close down OE and reopen it, and then it would work OK. But if I didn't take that first opportunity to connect, send and recieve, then I couldn't get online at all.
Thanks for that--but how do I repair it? Can someone tell me, please? I'd rather try a repair first, then reinstall only if I have to.
I have been getting this happening on a pc running ME. I suspect it may have started when I updated to the latest ZoneAlarm. Stopping ZoneAlarm before I open OE gets round the problem. I am in the process of fiddling about with ZoneAlarm setting.
Do you use ZoneAlrm? If so, which version?
It may not be necessary to re-install OE. Many times, the following information is a solid fix for many problems.
Try using Internet Explorer's repair option:
Start>> Settings>> Control Panel. Double click on Add/Remove programs.
Scroll down until you find Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Highlight it and click the Add/Remove button.
Note: This will not attempt to remove Internet Explorer.
From the resulting menu; select "Repair Internet Explorer".
If the above repair does not work:
Use the Find option on your Start menu to find the file "msimn.exe" and make a note of the full pathname. You'll probably find that it's something like "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe". If it isn't there, make a note of where it actually is, and alter it in the details I've given you below.
Next, make sure OE isn't running, click Start>> Run>> and then enter the following:
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg
Note: You need to make sure you put the quotes round the first part, and make sure there's a space before the /reg.
This tells Outlook Express to reset its registry entries, which should allow you to set OE as your default mail client in IE's Program options.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.