Outlook Express stopped collecting new messages

Mr. Chips 07:39 06 Dec 04

My Email worked fine. At about the same time that I had a Norton update, the incoming stopped working with the following message
############################
"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.demon.co.uk', Server: 'post.demon.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 7362, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"
############################
I still get the same message even if I turn off Norton Firewall.

I use XP Home with service patch two installed.

I reset my ISP server in Outlook Express from 'local host' to post.demon.co.uk and re-installed Norton with full updates, but I still get the same reject message.
Incoming work ok and so does Internet Explorer.
Can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong.

Diodorus Siculus 07:45 06 Dec 04

Socket Error: 10061

You receive a "Socket error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e" error message when you try to send or receive e-mail in Outlook or in Outlook Express
click here

Mr. Chips 17:04 06 Dec 04

Thanks Diodorus Siculus

I followed your thread and completed the tasks and was able to send out an email via telnet using port 25 .... so it would appear that the PC is OK.

Is it a setting in Outlook exprtess which is my problem?

Outlook Express/ Tools/ Servers show pop3.demon.co.uk and post.demon.co.uk as they should be, and as I am getting incoming emails, I can assume that the user name and password is correct.

Can anyone advise further please?

wiz-king 21:08 06 Dec 04

I have found that if OE is set to disconect after sending/receiving the Norton Anti Virus will not have time to scan the mail before the disconection. Try altering the setting on OE to disconect after 1min.

Mr. Chips 07:49 07 Dec 04

wiz-king,

when about to implement your suggestion I noticed that the SMTP port being used was '7362' I changed this to '25' and it now seems to work.

bizarre, or what!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…