Outlook Express SpellCheck

djsew 21:43 28 Jan 04

Recently, I believe I read somewhere that if you are running WinXP, you only get a spell checker function in Outlook Express if you have Office XP installed.
Can anybody confirm this?
Secondly, what is the situation on Win98SE/Office2000 and the OE Spellcheck function.
Reason for my questions? Silver surfing neighbour has asked if he should migrate from Office2k to the XP version. Should he do this?

slightlymad 21:46 28 Jan 04

Office 2K is fine to enable the spellchecker in XP - doesn't need to be Office XP.

AubreyS 21:47 28 Jan 04

No not at all. hit F7 after you've typed your email and it will spell check for you. Or go to Tools > Spelling.

Valvegrid 21:50 28 Jan 04

Yes, normally you need some sort of office package to run spellcheck in OE, but this little program gets around the problem:

click here

Djohn 22:03 28 Jan 04

Express uses the "Spell check" from any of the office programs, or from M/S Word if you have only that installed. The spell checker icon is there on the express toolbar, but in the normal e-mail window the toolbar is not long enough to see it.

Enlarge the email window by clicking on maximise or just drag the left outline a little and the Icon will show. If you don't have "Word" on the PC, then download this and it will also put a spell checker Icon on the explorer toolbar. click here Once downloaded, choose options and change the default language from US English to GB English. j.

djsew 22:08 28 Jan 04

You guys are magic. I'm obliged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…