Outlook Express reinstallment !

curlylad 16:44 29 Sep 03

I have had problem after problem with my Outlook Express and have been trying to put it right with the help of various people , however it still refuses to function correctly .
I need to know how EXACTLY , I can delete O.E. , and then reinstall it , please help it is driving me absolutely insane !

Gongoozler 17:09 29 Sep 03
  JIM 17:27 29 Sep 03

If your OS is win/xp first try to restore files via the scf /scannow also,

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.
Reinstall Windows XP updates,from Microsoft Windows Update Web site.

If win 98, you could reinstall Windows 98.over itself.

curlylad 17:57 29 Sep 03

Goongoozler and JIM,

I'm afraid were in more trouble than I thought,
lets just suppose someone got that angry with O.E,that they wiped the icon off the desktop and went to start,programs,outlook express, and deleted it, if an idiot lets say someone like myself for example , what do I do now ? do I have to buy the software to reinstall it ?

Gongoozler 09:34 30 Sep 03

Hi curlylad. Probably the easiest way is to get the cover disk from PCA and reinstall Internet Explorer from there. That should replace all missing files. Alternatively you can put a new shortcut to Outlook express in either your start menu or desktop. The exe file for Outlook Express is "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe". Find that file, right click on it and select "Create shortcut". Drag the new shortcut to your desktop, or to C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs. The new desktop icon will have the shortcut arrow, but should still work ok.

curlylad 15:14 30 Sep 03

Gongoozler,

How or where do I get the Win 98 cd-rom from PCA?
Remember at the moment I cannot e-mail to ask for a copy , can I just download it from somewhere?

curlylad 16:26 30 Sep 03

Gongoozler,
Sorry to be so thick , I have done the first part of what you suggested , C:Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe ,and successfully restored the O.E. icon to the desktop.However I dont understand the second bit of what you said.How do I now get the Outlook Express to show on the Start,Programs drop down menu?
Can you please dumb it down a bit for me !

alhibbs 16:29 30 Sep 03

re loaded win 2000 and lost all my off 2000
have tried to uninstall off 2000 totaly, but it refuses to budge.
tried loading works suite 2002 it wont load

Gongoozler 17:52 30 Sep 03

Hi curlylad. In Windows 98, the start menu is in C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs, so in Windows Explorer you just copy and paste the shortcut from where you find it (C:\WINDOWS\Desktop) to C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs. There are various alternative ways because the shortcut is just a file like any others, but this way should be quite simple. The locations could be different in other versions of Windows. Shortcut files have the extension .LNK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…