outlook express receiving but not sending

pcgal 18:37 04 Feb 03

IVE ALWAYS HAD TROUBLE WITH OUTLOOK EXPRESS....IT RECEIVES BUT DOESNT SEND......10%OF THE TIME IT DOES SEND OK BUT ITS JUST UNUSABLE.IVE ALSO TRIED A NUMBER OF EMAIL ADDRESSES BUT STILL THE SAME...RECEIVES BUT DOESNT SEND. I'AM ON WINDOWS XP BUT I'VE EXPERIENCED SIMILAR PROBLEMS IN WINDOWS98.
CAN ANYONE OUT THERE GIVE ME SOME POINTERS..PCGALXX
PS. THE EMAIL PROVIDER IS TALK21.COM AND I'AM USING THE CORRECT SETTINGS FOR THE ACCOUNT SETUP FOR THE IN/OUT SERVER ..ITS SIMPLY IN.TALK21.COM AND OUT.TALK21.COM

spikeychris 18:55 04 Feb 03

Are you getting any error messages? if so what are they?

Just tap that Caps lock key off ;o)

Chris

pcgal 19:04 04 Feb 03

spikey ...error550 unable to relay message to yahoo.co.uk (or whatever address I'm sending too)

Macka77 19:15 04 Feb 03

I've just set up Outlook to for a Talk21 account using the info on their site (see below) and I can send and receive ok.

Macka77 19:16 04 Feb 03

Forgot this:
Here's what you have to do:

To take advantage of POP3 email you will need to use Microsoft Outlook Express. Before you start, please remember that the phone line you use must be CLI (caller line identification) enabled.

To configure Microsoft Outlook Express to download your talk21 messages you should:

Go to the email software set up - in Outlook Express click on Tools > Accounts > Add > Mail
In the Display Name field, enter your first and last name
In the Email Address field, enter your talk21 email address. For example [email protected]
Email Server Names:

- ensure that POP3 is selected as the Incoming Mail Server
- In the Incoming POP3 Mail server field, enter in.talk21.com
- In the Outgoing Mail SMTP server field, enter out.talk21.com
Internet Mail Logon
- Opt to login using your POP Account Name
- POP Account Name: enter your talk21 user name. So, if your address is [email protected], enter mary.smith
- Password: enter your talk21 password. If you leave this empty you will be prompted to enter your password each time you dial-up to download your mail
Friendly Name: For example this could Mary's talk21 account
You should now have set up your POP3 client
Don't forget - most POP3 email clients will normally remove the messages from your Web-based Inbox after downloading them to your computer. However, you can usually configure your POP3 email client to leave a copy in your talk21 web-based Inbox.
It's also worth remembering that, unlike when you read your messages on the Web, anyone who has access to your computer will be able to access to your downloaded messages. To go straight to talk21 to pick up your mail, click on logon on talk21.

Macka77 19:40 04 Feb 03

I found the following sites/pages which refer to your problem - although they are for other ISPs/mail accounts they may give you some ideas of things to check.

click here

click here

spikeychris 20:08 04 Feb 03

Sorry for delay, I've been trying to find the SMTP IP address for Talk21.com. In the SMTP box ie: out, type this, 194.73.242.12
instead of "OUT.TALK21.COM".

As Macka77's links show its struggling to get out, this could make it a bit easier.

Please post back with results.

Chris

pcgal 20:35 04 Feb 03

CHRIS THANX FOR YA HELP ON THIS BUT STILL NO GOOD!!I LOOKED AT SOME LINKS SUPPLIED BY MACKA AND IT SAYS THAT IF YOUVE RECENTLY CHANGED YOUR ISP PROVIDER THEN THIS PROBLEM 550 RELAY PROBLEM ARISES AND SORRY I DIDNT MENTION THAT IVE JUST CONNECTED TO PIPEX BROADBAND THIS AFTERNOON.
BUT WHAT DO I CHANGE MY SMTP SERVER TOO?..ITS NOT VERY CLEAR IN MACKA'S LINK.
IVE REMOVED MY OLD ISP CONNECTION FROM THE INTERNET OPTIONS.
PS. THANX FOR THE LINK MACKA..PCGALXX

spikeychris 20:49 04 Feb 03

Incoming Mail Server pop.dsl.pipex.com
Outgoing Mail Server smtp.dsl.pipex.com

pcgal 21:11 04 Feb 03

CHRIS I CANT THANKYOU ENOUGH!!!!! THAT SOLVED IT!!!JUST FOR MY FUTURE REFERENCE HOW ARE U FINDING THESE SETTINGS?....IS IT JUST ON THE PIPEX WEBSITE?
THANKS A MILLION AGAIN CHRIS YOUVE BEEN BRILL..PCGALXX

spikeychris 21:18 04 Feb 03

No problem, glad your sorted. click here for a site that should help you whist your with Pipex.

PS I could of quite easily killed you when you said you had changed your ISP, that IP for the SMTP took my ages to find ;o) :o)

Regards

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…