Outlook Express receiving, but not sending

pcbobby 14:26 10 Jul 05

Two days ago, I assisted a new PC (Sony laptop with XP home) owner access the Internet, using freeby (Tiscali) software.
After installation, I sent an email to my own email address and subsequently returned a reply. All appeared to work well.
She now informs me that she can surf the net and receive mail – but emails that she has sent out, appear in the SENT box, but they are not arriving at their destinations.
Norton is well and truly imbedded in the machine, is this the culprit – hiding the emails somewhere?
Why was I able to sent and receive the first one?

I welcome any suggestions as how to overcome this problem.

slimpickins 14:50 10 Jul 05

I don't think it's a Norton issue. I suggest that she tests the email system by sending one to her own address, which will test the system.

Which ISP does she us?

pcbobby 15:00 10 Jul 05

Thanks slimpickins.
The ISP is Tiscali.

I have just had look at a slightly similar problem on site at the moment.
I fine tuned OE to 'Hang up after sending and receiving'. Maybe this is creating aproblem for Norton?

slimpickins 15:08 10 Jul 05

I've wondered about that. The 2005 version of Norton seems to take an age to check outgoing email and the "hang-up" option may kick in before it's finished.

slimpickins 15:10 10 Jul 05

The Tiscali service status page click here doesn't report any problems with their service in general.

pcbobby 15:18 10 Jul 05

Thanks slimpickins.
I shall try that, but it will be Mon Pm before I see her.

pcbobby 07:03 12 Jul 05

Yes, the main reason was the slowness of Norton in executing the mail and the speed of OE Hanging Up after sending the mail.
I had to uncheck the box in the OE option settings.
The alternative was go to Norton box and uncheck the email SEND settings.

Thank you to slimpickins for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…