Outlook Express Query

Bun 09:34 10 Jan 07

Happy New Year to you all. I am using Outlook Express Windows XP Home Edition. When people send me files endind in .WVS they won't come through the file is named but it is in grey and will not allow me to read it or save it. Whats up doc.

Gongoozler 09:49 10 Jan 07

This could be the Outlook Express security feature (Tools - Options - Security - "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus", but if that was the case it would also disallow some other attachments such as .jpg. Try Mozilla Thunderbird to see if that allows the .WVS file.

Bun 16:01 10 Jan 07

I have checked in the Tools/Option/Security and there is a box "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus." and it is ticked. Would it silly of me to untick the box? What is the Mozilla Thunderbird is it a program to block dodgy emails?

Belatucadrus 16:31 10 Jan 07

Only if you have no Anti Virus installed, as a safety tool, it's an extremely blunt instrument, blocking access to most attachments and most people prefer to deselect it and trust in the AntiVirus to keep any nasties at bay.
Mozilla Thunderbird is another e-mail program similar to Outlook Express, it has rather more features including a spam filter, so some people prefer it.

Gongoozler 16:35 10 Jan 07

There is no risk in unticking "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus." as long as your computer has an up to date antivirus utility. Mozilla Thunderbird is a very good email client which together with Mozilla Firefox are very popular alternatives to Microsoft's Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. They share the major benefit of not being embedded into the Windows operating system, and as a result Windows is not at as much risk from infection. I use both Thunderbird and Firefox, and would not want to revert to OE or IE. click here

Bun 23:10 10 Jan 07

Thanks guys another winner for the start of the New Year. I don't know what I would do without you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…