Outlook express provided by whsmith online

smartdave 12:04 07 Apr 03

I have acquired a PC which used to use WHsmith as its isp. When I load OE it tries it opens the dial up window, cancel this and it reappears, cancel again andyou get a message saying "failed to connect to whsmith website" or somesuch.

I have OE set up to not connect at startup, and only when I want it.

it is annoying to get these popups before i'm ready to log on.

MAJ 12:12 07 Apr 03

Go into Tools > Accounts and delete the WHsmith account, smartdave.

xtreme_computing 12:14 07 Apr 03

if the machine has WHsmith installed or used to be installed on that machine and you no-longer want these popups appearing

then open internet explorer click tools/options/connections

and remove whsmith connection (only remove it if you do not want to ever connect through the whsmith again. and also click never dial my default connection

as for outlook express/click tools/accounts mail and delete the whsmith account.

bthese are instructions to remove whsmith internet connection, is that what you are after!

smartdave 12:23 07 Apr 03

Obviously I have removed those things. WHsmith "Account" in OE has been removed and dial up connection removed too

xtreme_computing 12:36 07 Apr 03

obviously we are not mind readers you didnot state that! next time you post be a little clearer as it will save time!

click never dial a connection

smartdave 12:42 07 Apr 03

Didn't mean to offend.

I think there is some sort of directory that has a signature file for the default isp?

MAJ 12:45 07 Apr 03

It wasn't *that* obvious, smartdave. Which operating system are you using? If it's Win 9x go to My Computer > Dialup Networking and make sure it's also deleted from there.

You also say that it's trying to connect to the *website*? Check the home age entry in IE > Tools > Internet Options, make sure it's not set to the WHSmith home page.

If none of that helps, go into the registry and do a search for the WHSmith account that's trying to connect and delete any mention of it from there. Start > Run, type regedit go to Edit > Find, type in what you're searching for, click Find Next, if it finds anything to do with WHSmith, delete it, then hit your F3 key to find the next instance, continue on until it says it's finished searching. Don't forget to backup the registry before deleting anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5