Outlook express problem

newearwax 17:10 28 Oct 04

I am on XP Home SP2 with Office 2000 and IE and OE6 and am on a broadband connection.

I can make connection to the internet with no problems but when I try to access ourlook express I get the basis screen with file etc along top, folders, contacts etc but then on nothing apart from the hourglass. There is no fault at the ISP end. Can you advise what isbest to do to rectify fault, please?

Gongoozler 17:48 28 Oct 04

Hi gogmagog. This sounds like you have a corrupted email folder. You could try a repair of Outlook Express:
Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express click here

You could delete you dbx folders and hope that OE will replace them, but my favorite would be to ditch Microsoft and install Mozilla FireFox and Mozilla Thunderbird click here and click here

newearwax 22:25 28 Oct 04

I tried the ms link but I have only a restore disk, not a XP prog disk so didn't work. However mags to work out how to bring all over to Outlook, settings address book et al. The only prob is that all goes in to one folfer at moment as haven't had time to suss out how one does that in outlook. Gongoozler, what are the advantages of the Mozilla programs?

beeuuem 22:55 28 Oct 04

First save all your mail by doing a search for files called '*.dbx'. The default location for these is Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\identity_number\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

Create a new folder, where you can easily find it eg My Documents, then Cut and Paste the dbx files from the existing folder to this folder.

Import the .dbx files to Outlook Express:
Start Outlook Express. ( There will be no mail shown)
On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
In the Select an e-mail program to import from box, click either Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or Microsoft Outlook Express 6 as applicable, and then click Next.

Click either Import mail from an OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory as applicable, and then click OK.

Click Browse, and find the new folder that you created to save the dbx files.

Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.
This will replace your saved mail in Outlook Express

Gongoozler 11:28 29 Oct 04

Hi gogmagog. I think the main advantages of Mozilla Firefox as a browser are a) it isn't Microsoft and so is less targeted by viruses and b) it has tabbed web pages, so if you want to look up another site while you are browsing, "ctrl T" opens another page. c) It is open-source software so there are loads of add-on goodies that you can download for it. Try downloading it. You don't have to remove IE, so you can use either or both browsers. When you have decided which you prefer just set it as your default.

Mozilla Thunderbird behaves very much like OE, but it claims to be more spam proof. Again it isn't targeted by malicious software as much as OE. You can also use it alongside OE, but emails will be stored in whichever you are using at the time. Again when you have decided that you like Thunderbird set it as your default.

For me another major advantage of both Mozilla apps is that they aren't embedded into Windows, so any misbehaviour doesn't stop windows running properly. Mozilla Firefox was developed from Netscape.

newearwax 18:02 29 Oct 04

I don'yt know if there are any potential hazards in having done this, but I downloaded IE6 which overwrote previous version and all seems aok, both IE and OE. if anyone has advise pse let me know. Thanks

newearwax 15:58 02 Nov 04

I'm begginning to think you may be right as OE6 part of IE6 seems to be playing up again and remedy I mentioned above comes up with there is a later version - cannot proceed. I thinl I'll go to one of the alternatives but how in heck do you uninstall IE6 as it does not appear in Control panel?

newearwax 16:25 02 Nov 04

I have come across another snag with using MOzilla. It's this.

I have set up a number of accounts in OE to divide up the type of message to things like groups personal etc.but have used the same password. Mozilla won't accpet this. Is there a work round?

Gongoozler 17:03 02 Nov 04

I haven't looked into it, but this site seems to explain how it might be done click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…