Outlook Express printer greyed out

Carafaraday 16:20 16 Nov 05

Can anyone tell me why in Outlook Express the printer option is greyed out? I am unable to right click and print either.
Have just had to reinstall everything after an overzealous HP repair man reset the system when replacing a power unit under guarantee.
The printer is working ok from Word.

Carafaraday 16:24 16 Nov 05

PS Have just made sure the printer is set as default (it wasn't - fax was). Can now print by right click method, but printer on tool bar is still greyed out.

Skyver 16:24 16 Nov 05

Perhaps it just needs a reboot to cure the latter problem.

Carafaraday 16:34 16 Nov 05

Thanks, will try that...........

Carafaraday 16:41 16 Nov 05

Have tried a reboot but with no success - the printer is still greyed out........

Carafaraday 18:55 16 Nov 05

Anyone out there got any ideas about this, please?

GaT7 19:09 16 Nov 05

Try a sfc /scannow click here, or failing which, an IE repair click here (should take care of OE too). G

Carafaraday 22:33 16 Nov 05

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a bit scared by the scannow thing. IE is working fine - can print directly from it (and from Word).

GaT7 17:55 17 Nov 05

Carafaraday, OK no problem - at least you can still print by right-clicking : )

I've run the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) a few times & it has never made anything worse (MS article about it click here).

As OE is part of IE, repairing IE helps to repair OE too (MS article click here).

I read somewhere, of the two, running the SFC tool is the 'better' option & ideally should be attempted first. G

Carafaraday 18:42 17 Nov 05

Many thanks for your reply. I was brave enough this morning to run the scannow thing but it didn't find anything - at least I presume it didn't as I left it to get on with it, and when I came back it had disappeared (if you know what I mean).
I think I'll just live with it for the time being but thanks for your interest and support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch