Outlook express POP3 and AOL

JGAULD 22:15 19 Jan 03
  JGAULD 22:15 19 Jan 03

Evening,
Im trying to configure O/E 6 so I can read my POP3 mail from my domain.
I can read incomming mail no worry's, but I can't send mail, I just get a failure message.

I have tried smtp.aol.com and mail.aol.com and co.uk but nothing seems to work!

Is there amy way can I set this up or will I have to change my ISP to receive POP3 mail?

Seems daft but I can't make it work, I did come across a program that offered a way around this but as usual it costs.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

John.

Lozzy 22:17 19 Jan 03

I don't think you can send email using AOL through OE. I might be wrong

Lozzy 22:20 19 Jan 03

When you try to use Outlook Express to access America Online's e-mail server, you may receive the following error message:

The host <host name> could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: <account name>, Server: <server name>, protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secured (SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number:0x800CCC0D
When you try to use Outlook Express to access America Online's news server, you may receive the following error message:

The host <news server> could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
CAUSE
This behavior occurs because America Online uses proprietary e-mail and news servers that is not compatible with Outlook Express. This behavior may also occur if the following are true:

Outlook client is behind a Microsoft Proxy server.
The Outlook client does not have the Winsock Proxy client installed.

Lozzy 22:20 19 Jan 03

AOL News and E-mail Servers Are Not Compatible with Outlook Express
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Outlook Express 4.0 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 for Windows 95
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01 for Windows 95
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0 for Windows 95
Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 for Windows 95
Microsoft Outlook Express 4.0 for Windows 95
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Outlook Express Version 6 for Windows 2000
Microsoft Outlook Express Version 6 for Windows 98
Microsoft Outlook Express Version 6 for Windows

JGAULD 22:27 19 Jan 03

I had thought as much. Is a poor show though. Looks like I will be changing ISP sooner rather than later.
I have had more than enough of AOL and its naff mail system.
Cheers
John.

siarad 22:28 19 Jan 03

AOHell is a proprietary system but try:- click here or click here

MoiraB 15:40 20 Jan 03

Perhaps AOL should make it clear on their free disks that their system is not compatible with OE or Microsoft Outlook then we'd be aware of this before installing their system. I too had to change ISP after a week with AOL.

Djohn 15:48 20 Jan 03

AOL to the best of my knowledge uses IE6 to connect itself to the www. It is included on the aol setup disk!

But for some strange reason you cannot use the two together for email. I use and find the mail service of aol to be more than satisfactory, but for the odd occasions I wish to use IE then I have a separate ISP on PAYG.

The problem only exist with e-mail, if you wish to use IE as your browser, then minimise aol to the task bar and bring up IE, or any other browser. J.

JGAULD 19:26 20 Jan 03

I have to admit Djohn, I have already considered, nae, got a PAYG Isp, whom I might add are anything but free! But thats another thread soon to be lurking on this ere forum.

I guess my choice is simple, ditch AOL and swap email addy with all the associated grief that will cause, or keep another PAYG acc and hope someone hasnt lobbed a huge file at my inbox of which i'm paying a high cost to download.

One the plus side I do have a catch it all email addy now, (with domain name) so changing would not be to severe.

Seems crazy, AOL having dumped their browser (what was it called again? started with an N,,,,?) they go with the flow and install I/E 5.5 or 6, which as you noticed ;) also includes O/E 6, but you can't use it, oh no!????

As the americano's would say GO FIGURE.

This is not rocket science you know! as a computer teacher at school use to say. lol
J.

Djohn 19:30 20 Jan 03

JGAULD, yes it is very confusing!...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…