outlook express paper clip

Newuser3477 10:33 19 Jan 06

Since I have re-formatted my hard drive, and re-installed XP2 and updates and associated programmes such as Outlook Express, most of the e-mails listed in my Outlook Express inbox show a paper clip at the side indicating that there is an attachment. There is no paperclip at the top right hand side when I show full message. In most cases there is not an attached message.This paper clip does not appear when I receive e-mails from organisations ( perhaps these are not in plain text).
What is happening?, how can I set the programme so that the paperclip s only shown when there is really an attachment?
Thanks

Gongoozler 10:45 19 Jan 06

If the emails are from someone using AVG antivirus, they will often show an attachment when this is simply a note to say that they have been checked by AVG.

Simsy 11:25 19 Jan 06

and have set it to check, it will have a message on the bottom saying "This has been checked by AVG..."

Although it doesn't look like it, this is an attachment.

To stop it, open the AVG control centre Select, EMail Scanner, Properties

Then click "Configure"

In the box at the top you can either UNTICK "Certify mail", or (better option I'd suggest), keep it ticked but make sure "With attachments only" is also ticked.

(For what it's worth, I have all 6 boxes in that section ticked.)

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

Newuser3477 20:02 22 Jan 06

I suspect you are both right, however in my free AVG version I don't get option to configure

keith-236785 22:03 22 Jan 06

just ignore it, i do.....rest assured that AVG is doing its thing and protecting you, its a small price to pay for the free version and the peace of mind that goes with it.

to get to the configure page, double click the icon by the clock, once opened double click e-mail scanner then click the general tab, then click on the configure tab.

good luck

keith-236785 22:04 22 Jan 06

sorry got a bit wrong,,,,,,click the PLUGINS tab not the general tab. sorry

Simsy 23:37 22 Jan 06

I've got the free version, and I've got just as I described to you...

Open the Control Centre

then select "Email Scanner", with a single click

then click "Properties", bottom left

then "Plugins" tab, (which I missed out earlier)

then "configure"

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 23:38 22 Jan 06

I've just realised that's what paperman27 has already said!

Regards,

Simsy

Newuser3477 16:43 23 Jan 06

advice has worked perfectly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…