Outlook Express outgoing mail probs

Young Ranger 23:49 29 Sep 03

I'm using Outlook Express with Win XP. My E-mail has been fine since installation a few months ago but now I am having problems sending mail. (Incoming mail is fine).

When I try to send mail I get the message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: '****', Server: 'smtp.tesco.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

After quite a few attempts the mail will eventually be sent.

Any ideas what is causing this please.

daba 00:32 30 Sep 03

click here

this is from Google search and describes your error message (although it came from Tiscali web-help). Seems like your POP3 or SMTP settings may not be correct

daba 00:38 30 Sep 03

I also found this click here you may have the Blaster worm - do you run a virus scanner ?

Young Ranger 00:56 30 Sep 03

I use Mcaffee for anti virus and I also have all the latest XP patches. When Blaster first started doing the rounds I downloaded the Symantec removal tool and scanned for Blaster just in case but nothing was found. Im not in the habit of opening any attachments unless I am sure where they came from.

I am pretty confident that I don't have Blaster but I will do another check tomorrow. I will also check with my ISP to confirm the settings.

Thanks for your help.

daba 01:00 30 Sep 03

no probs - i always use Google to search for an error number like that

chances are you weren't the first to see it if the programmers decided to generate an error number

mind you it can take a long time to wade through the search results but usually you can discount a load by relating the discussions to your own circumstances

good luck with the problem

Boluwd 08:58 30 Sep 03

Which ISP are you using? I'm having problems SENDING emails using Virgin.Net Broadband. I keep on getting time out error messages even with a 120 second timeout window and tiny "test" messages. The error code is 0x800CCC19.I have contacted their online helpdesk and await a reply.
I can receive without a problem.

SCL411 09:07 30 Sep 03

It's possible that this could be down to your ISP.

A number of ISP's have now configured their mail servers so that (if you're using Outlook/Outlook Express) you can only send mail if you are connected to the internet with them as an ISP. You should still be able to send via the webmail interface regardless of how you are connected.

They say that this cuts down on spam and viruses, but I have my doubts!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…