Outlook Express (outgoing) mail problem with bt

flash007 11:29 14 Oct 09

Hi,

About a month ago I bought a domain and successfully use outlook express as my email and have had no problems at all.

2 days ago I bought another domain name and want to use outlook express for this as well. I have set up a new account and I can now receive messages on both accounts but only send on the original account.

Every time I try to send a mail on the new account the message sits in the outbox and then a "log on" screen pops up, stating correctly that the outgoing server is "mail.btinternet.com" and asks me to confirm the username and password. Now I have entered this info a dozen times and triple checked that I am entering the correct details, but every time I hit "ok" the same "log on" window pops again!!! It's sooooooo infuriating because I know the details are 100% accurate and it's working fine with the other account.

Any ideas, please?

mgmcc 11:54 14 Oct 09

Normally, BT only allow emails with a BT email address to be sent via their servers unless you have registered an alternative domain with them. As far as I'm aware, BT is the only ISP to impose this restriction, although it wouldn't explain how you have managed to use one personal domain already.

I'd suggest contacting them to check if you need to register your domains to be able to send messages via their SMTP server.

Jollyjohn 12:50 14 Oct 09

Hi

Please double check your account settings. Specifically under the SERVER tab there is a box for outgoing mail server that say "My server requires authentication" Tick this go to Settings and enter the appropriate details.
Hope this fixes it.

flash007 13:08 14 Oct 09

Hi JollyJohn, yes that's already been checked. Thanks anyway.

mgmcc: I have used various domains via outlook for over 5 years for various businesses. Always been with BT too.

Ok, I'll give them a shout... Oh great, dealing with BT in India is one of my favourite things to do!

Jollyjohn 14:05 14 Oct 09

Does it work if you remove the tick from the box?

flash007 18:32 14 Oct 09

No but I found out what the problem was in the end.

Under 'servers' and 'settings' I had the wrong user name and password.

Simples when you know how!

Thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009