outlook express old .dbx files to new hard drive

howard64 12:01 17 May 09

After the hard drive crashed I was able to recover my sisters .dbx files from outlook express 6. Having fitted the new hard drive how do I get the 140 files back into outlook express 6 so that all the old emails are available? Thanks in advance for your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:11 17 May 09

Restore Outlook Express Mail, Address Book, Mail Rules, Blocked Senders List and other Settings

Import Messages from the Backup Folder

To import your Outlook Express e-mail messages from the Backup folder:

1. On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
2. In the Select an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.
3. Click Import mail from an OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then click OK.
4. Click Browse, and then click on the Mail Backup folder in your backup location
5. Click OK, and then click Next.
6. Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.

Import the Address Book File

To import your Outlook Express address book:

1. On the File menu, click Import, and then click Other Address Book.
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Import.
3. Click Browse.
4. Locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location, click the address book backup.csv file, and then click Open.
5. Click Next, and then click Finish.
6. Click OK, and then click Close.

Import the Mail Account File

To import your Outlook Express mail account file:

1. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
2. On the Mail tab, click Import.
3. In the Look In box, locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location.
4. Click the mail account that you want to import, and then click Open.
5. Repeat these steps for each mail account that you want to import.
6. Click Close.

Import the Newsgroup Account File

To import your Outlook Express news account file:

1. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
2. On the News tab, click Import.
3. In the Look In box, locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location.
4. Click the news account that you want to import, and then click Open.
5. Repeat these steps for each news account that you want to import.
6. Click Close.

howard64 12:46 17 May 09

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I will try this out.

howard64 14:31 17 May 09

so far I have recovered .pst and .dbx files but do not know how to get them into outlook express 6. Using xp sp3.

howard64 14:42 17 May 09

have found and imported address book but still no joy with .dbx and .pst

exodus 17:53 17 May 09

.pst files belong to Outlook, not Outlook Express.
To import into Outlook, guide here.
click here

.dbx files belong to OE. Fruit Bat has outlined the method to import messages. If this has failed, then ensure you have the "Folders.dbx" or OE will not recognise your .dbx messages.
Further guide here.
click here

howard64 12:12 18 May 09

thanks exodus I will try these suggestions. I am a bit confused as my sister uses oe not outlook and when I recovered her data there were approx 150 .pst files. I suppose I will have to find a free .pst reader to look at what I have got.

howard64 14:51 18 May 09

I cannot find folders.dbx? I have used the description from the click here in exodus posting but cannot delete folders.dbx as I cant find one or do I make one? if so where?

Quiet Life 12:44 19 May 09

Outlook Express maintains e-mails in folders such as Inbox,Sent,Deleted and other personal folders that have been opened. Outlook Express maintains a summary of such folders as folders.dbx
If you right click on a folder and then Properites in OE it will show you where these are kept in C drive.
This is an example from my computer
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{43FC0705-6D8C-4EEC-AA14-199A3117234D}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

What I do is create my personal folders in Outlook Express exactly as the .dbx files I wish to bring in and then go to the Outlook Express folder as above.(Inbox, Sent etc will of course remain).
I then drag out and drop into a folder on the desktop the various .dbx files in Outlook Express .I keep the folder but it could be deleted.
All you need now do is drag in and drop the replacement .dbx files.
Any e-mails in these new folders will then show up in Outlook Express.

exodus 00:25 20 May 09

If your sister uses OE, then perhaps she can explain how she acquired 150 .pst messages that belong to Outlook.

In relation to the missing Folders.dbx, my previous link suggested creating a new OE identity. This new identity will create the Folders.dbx. When you have created the new identity, import the required .dbx folders into that new identity.

A Windows search for
*.dbx
this will show all .dbx folders on the drives searched. If you use this method to check which folders you have, ensure the search includes all hidden and system files/folders.

Let us know how you get on.

howard64 12:04 20 May 09

thanks exodus but although a search for folders.dbx shows a folder there is no folder shown when I follow the path to it, therefore I am unable to copy the files to it [I am viewing all hidden files]. I will mark this as resolved as I have downloaded the free prog mailview and used this to look at the .dbx files. Most were empty or did not contain oe6 data. The ones with all their data have now been written to cd and I have posted it to her. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…