Outlook Express on ntl BB with Norton

nickdb1 19:23 06 Nov 04

I know this has been discussed before, but the solutions don't seem to be working for me(!). I'm having much trouble with using OE on ntl BB; I've tried uninstalling Norton Internet Security as advised by Microsoft, which allows OE access to the server, but when it's reinstalled the problem returns. Just wondered if I was missing a crucial bit of the solution, or if anyone knows any other fixes, like other firewalls that work better, etc. Any help may just keep me sane...

JaßîsFaß ˜ 13:36 08 Nov 04

bretsky 14:01 08 Nov 04

Could you please explain the problems you are having because NAV/NIS can be quite complicated.
Or it could be a silly setting adjustment in OE.

bretsky ;0)

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:50 08 Nov 04

nickdb1 is on XP with SP2, Norton IS 2003, OE&IE6, and been through ntl on line help to check all the settings, and has made no difference. The only way I can get my mail to OExp is by uninstall of NIS. Thus have to check mail by ntl webmail. While NIS is uninstalled the OExp will send/recv my mail.

bretsky 17:14 08 Nov 04

You have just said the magic words, sp2, says it all click here
I think its quite easy to say that you NIS is not compatible with sp2, go to synmantec site to the faqs and try and get a patch fix for it.
Sorry I cannot be more positive.

bretsky ;0)

nickdb1 18:34 08 Nov 04

Thanks for that. Synmantec's site seems to insist that NIS will work OK with sp2. As I've got a subscritption for McAfee and have got hold of a trial version of their firewall, do you think this is a better solution? Seems to be working OK (for now). Thanks again for your help.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 18:37 08 Nov 04

If unable to fix and you want to try a free AV program I use and can recommend AVG Free (edition 6) available from click here . This free edition is going to be discontinued but will a new Free version will be available later this month - see here - click here .

bretsky 21:08 09 Nov 04

I don't rate Norton all that much, and have no experience with McAfee. But if it works for you, then fine.......Let us know how you get on.

bretsky ;0)

wallbash 21:19 09 Nov 04

I use Outlook Express (and Thunderbird) with Nortons 2003 and yes I am on NTL BB. Its always worked for me . So my only help to you is , the set can/will work .

nickdb1 21:39 09 Nov 04

I've gone for McAfee AV and firewall (which is free for 30 days) and everything seems to be OK, so I'll stick with that until the subscription expires, I think. Although I didn't use Norton AV (because I already had Mcafee), I guess there might be a conflict between the two. I trawled thru the settings several times but nothing seemed to make a difference, execpt uninstalling NIS 2003. Thanks again for the advice guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…