Outlook Express now takes ages to load, why?

Mezzo 09:46 02 Feb 03

I've no idea why, but when I now open Outlook Express it seems to take about 2 minutes to load. Is there any way I can see why this is happening? Would it be anything to do with memory or cache? Is there anywhere I can look on my PC that will tell me why this is?

Running Windows XP Home on a Dell Dimension 2350, with a P4 2.5ghz, 512k ram, 60gb hd on Freeserve Broadband.

I optimized my Cache using Tweak XP the other day to 65536kb (dont ask me why, it just sounded good!).

Would some kind of System Restore be an option here?

Thanks for your help.

SDJ 09:51 02 Feb 03

I have a smiliar problem, loading up OE and the main screen opens but the inbox takes about a minute to load even though the mail has been received.
This doesnt happen on anyother logins I have on Win XP.
Dont mean to hijack your thread Mezzo just thought it would be easier to add on to yours seeing as it is the same kind of problem.

Wak 10:20 02 Feb 03

Mezzo, I think having too many messages in there can slow it down. Try reducing the amount of stored messages in all folders to a reasonable level.

User-312386 10:53 02 Feb 03

inherent fault of OE, loading slow

however you may want to change it to NOT receive messages at start up. To do that open OE go to tools>options>general tab and then uncheck the box that sais "Send and recieve messages at startup"

Mezzo 11:46 02 Feb 03

Thanks all.

Have tried all of the above with no joy. Would it be worth uninstalling OE and using Microsoft Outlook 2002 whcih I have as part of Office Pro 2002 but dont use?

An inherent problem of OE? Does everyone running OE have this problem? I'd have thought with a 2.5ghz P4 and 512k ram I wouldnt experience things like this!!!

Wak 11:52 02 Feb 03

Mezzo, I don't have a particularly slow start up at all in Win 98SE but I also don't let my messages build up too much.
Have you tried the IE Repair tool which also repairs OE??

acfc 11:58 02 Feb 03

This is not an inherent fault with OE and you would expect Outlook to be slightly slower to open as it is a more complex piece of software!

Take Wak's advice and try to repair OE.

Andy 999 12:04 02 Feb 03

Mezzo, i have your problem as well. I have to re-install xp anyway because i screwed it up. I was doing an sfc and it crashed while replacing ntoskrnl.dll. LOL. I always have the bad luck. Anyway, back to the problem... The only way i found a fix was a re-install of windows. I have tried updating it etc but no avail. I think it could be some kind of corrupt files but im not sure on this. Yes, system restore works if i remember right but i don't know when my problem started so i can't restore to it but if you know do it.

Brad33 12:11 02 Feb 03

Takes me about 10 secs to open OE 6 on a 2ghz P4 Northwood w/ 256meg RDRAM.

hoverman 12:20 02 Feb 03

No problem here opening Outlook Express 6 with XP Home - takes 1 to 2 seconds on my PC. Having said that though, opening the first e-mail after downloading seems to take longer than it should. Any others open with no delay.

Mezzo 12:35 02 Feb 03

Thanks for the advice/info everyone.

Ive now managed to get it down to just under 10 seconds. I did this by changing the settings MSN Messenger ver 5.0 so it wouldnt automatically open or sign in when I connected to the net. I guess they may have been conflicting in some way eg .net passport or something?

Imterested in this repair tool some of you have mentioned, but cant find it! Any pointers please?

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…