Outlook Express is not my default email program!?

darkster 16:22 12 Dec 03

Hi all, I have a problem; I recently installed MS Office 97 on my new PC (which gave me Outlook)and then uninstalled it and put on the latest MS Works (back to Outlook Express). Somewhere in between there has been a problem in that Outlook Express is not recognised as my default email program. I've tried the obvious; tools, options, make default but it still says This application is not the default mail handler the next time I start Outlook Express. Also when I try to click on an email contact link on a website, there is a delay and then about 50 browser panes pop up all over the screen with error messages!
I would be very grateful for any help or suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

LeadingMNMs 16:32 12 Dec 03

Try going to Internet properties - Programs and setting the E-mail to OE and applying settings. If this does not work then go back into the above and see whether it is still the default E-mail client or if it has changed to something else.

AndyJ 18:12 12 Dec 03

Presuming your using XP, goto Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs. Then click on "Set Program Access and Defaults" then Custom and enable the OE radio button.

darkster 08:12 13 Dec 03

Thanks for the response guys.

@LeadingMNMs - I've previously tried this but the E-mail field is just a blank box with no selectable programs.

@AndyJ - I've tried that also but its just says 'use my current e-mail program' again, no selectables

I forgot to mention in my first post the error message that comes up when you try to click on an email link on a web page; 'Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed' then the multiple browser panes cascade across the screen! Any ideas as to how I can reinstall Outlook Express withous reinstalling Windows XP?

LeadingMNMs 09:01 13 Dec 03

To uninstall OE go to Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs - Add/Remove Windows Components and scroll down to OE and remove the tick. The apply settings and reboot. Follow the same path and then replace the tick and let it load from the XP CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…