Outlook Express - New Mail Notification

numskull 10:09 07 Apr 03

Is there any way to get Outlook Express to notify me of new messages without actually having the programme open?
Some e-mail programmes alert you to new messages when you are connected to the Internet.
Any help appreciated, thanks.

€dstow 10:13 07 Apr 03

What's wrong with having OE open but minimised at the bottom of the screen? This is what I do.

AragornUK 10:14 07 Apr 03

I don't think there is, but there is good freeware utility called eprompter which sits in your system tray near the clock and tells you of new messages. You can even check the subject lines and if it looks like junk, delete it before it gets to your mail program. Then just open OE and get mail as usual.

It even has a screensaver function. Bouncing balls that show how many emails await in various email accounts.

click here

Eagie 10:16 07 Apr 03

I will probably be proved wrong, but I don't think Outlook Express offers such a facility. It's big brother, Outlook, can be configured to display a message alerting you that you have new mail even when you have it minimised (rather than not running at all) but Outlook Express does not.

You will of course hear a sound when you get new mail if you keep OE minimised.

Sorry that I can't help any further.

€dstow 15:25 07 Apr 03

I get a sound (pizzicato on an out of tune violin) and a small envelope in the sys tray when I have new mail. This is with OE minimised.

Netscape puts a word balloon from the sys tray as well as an envelope in the tray when it receives mail.

Andsome 15:31 07 Apr 03

My Outlook Express is configured to check for e-mail every thirty minutes, and give me an audible message that new mail has arrived. It can as €dstow says, be left minimised at the bottom of the screen. As a matter of interest and to show what a sad person I am, my audible message is WORF from Star Trek, saying 'captain, incoming message'.

Gaz 25 15:41 07 Apr 03

click here

It is to stop spam, but it also sits in the Systray and lets you know of new mail.

numskull 12:18 08 Apr 03

Thanks everyone. I did not think that I was able to configure OE to notify me of e-mail without the programme being open. I was minimising it and I have Monty Python "arrow thud, message for you sir" to alert me to new e-mail. I think Outlook is a bit too much for all the e-mails I send and receive (not many!)
I have learned of two programmes - eprompter and mailwasher which I am evaluating at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…