Outlook Express need to transfer emails & settings

Jeecie 19:41 13 May 05

This is a new thread for a new problem (which follows on from my last thread click here)

Have installed a 2nd NEW Hard-drive of 80GB. As my old 20GB with Win 98SE refused to boot-up anymore.

Installed Win 98SE onto new 80GB and re-installed all my essential applications (Works Suite, drivers for Scanner, Printer etc. etc.)

Partitioned 80GB into 4 equal sized partitions:

1st partition = OS, Win 98 SE

2nd partition = OS, Win 98 SE (ready to be upgraded to Win XP... I've bought the upgrade CD)

3rd partition = Data Partition

4th partition = Partition to store my iPod music files on.

The PC can "see" both hard-disks (old 20GB + NEW 80GB). Using BootMagic I have tried to see if the old OS (Win 98SE) on the 20GB drive would run - but nope it wouldn't boot-up at all.

Luckily I am able to copy across files/folders (and data like photos etc.) to my the 80GB drive. But… I want to get my Outlook Express Emails/Folders/Settings/Identities/Accounts back to where they were before the old OS (on the 20 GB)died on me….

Soooooo I have been able to locate each of my 4 identities on the 20GB (under C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities and then I can see 4 different numbered folders with .dbx files inside each of those 4 folders).

… I've tried copying & pasting the 4 differently numbered folders into the new hard-drive (in the same location C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities… but none of the emails show up when I launch Outlook Express in the new OS.

I'm also stumped on how to locate & copy across my old Outlook Express settings (e.g. filters, address book etc. etc. etc.)

Any & all help/advice gratefully received folks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:59 13 May 05

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here

Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

Jeecie 20:08 13 May 05

I found the .dbx files (inclduing Folder.dbx) & had moved them all to the correct location in the new computer - but didn't show nay of my Emails/Folders/Settings/Identities/Accounts when I re-booted & launched OE.

Favorites for Internet Explorer I regulary backed that up to CD - so have got that still (thank God) so that was always safe.

Jeecie 20:53 20 May 05

Okay... I had to re-create the old identities from scratch in the new PC under OE... then when I copied across the .dbx files I can see all my folders & messages (hurraay!!).

But I still want to be able to copy across (import) my "blocked senders list" and "mail rules" from the old PC.

The microsoft knowledge website says I need to use the "Registry Editor" in order to copy across registry entries which when copied across will duplicate the Outlook Express settings to my new PC (see their webpage click here
for "How to Backup and Restore Outlook Express Blocked Senders List and Other Mail Rules")

... this all sounds great... but I can't open regedit in the "old PC" as the "old PC" is my old 20GB hard-disk inside the same machine & the old OS of Win98SE refuses to open... and I'd have to open Win98SE in order to open regedit on the "old PC"

...so what I now need is a way to either

(1) edit registry whilst working from inside the "new PC" (a WinXP OS)
or...
(2) a clever method (or freeware tool?) to export registry items from the old 20GB drive...

...any thoughts or inspired ideas welcomed :)

Jeecie 15:05 23 May 05

Jeecie 18:35 23 May 05

never 21:20 23 May 05

Have you tried using windows own search program? it should find all your copies of regedit on both hard drives & you can then open the o;d version.

Jeecie 18:16 29 May 05

I've tried searching for "Regedit"... in the D:\ drive (my old 20GB hard-drive)... and I get 2 possibles..

D:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.EXE

or... D:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\REGEDIT.EXE

...which one do I try?

Completealias 00:44 30 May 05

The first one the second is what is placed on your hard drive by the manufacturer so that you don't need to use the win98 cd when you add / remove bits

pimpers 00:56 22 Apr 06

Extract from "JEECIE" I have been able to locate each of my 4 identities on the 20GB (under C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities and then I can see 4 different numbered folders with .dbx files inside each of those 4 folders).

I am trying to find the "identities" folders in XP so I can remove the identities no longer needed, I can export them onto a new drive.I have tried searching for these folders/files without success.

Does anyone know where to find these folders information?

Thanks in advance.

Pimpers.

pimpers 08:27 23 Apr 06

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…