Outlook Express - MS Word attachments & virsuses

Charlie Babbage 09:40 17 Jul 05

I often receive emails with MS Word attachments. Until recently, a dialog box appeared which gave the option to (a) open the attachment or (b) save it to disc. I always chose (b) thinking this was safer in case the MS Word attachment contained a virus even though it was received from a trusted source.

I now get a differebt dialog box which only gives the option to open the attachment (which might have a virus) or to cancel the opertion. I'm running avast! v 4.6 which is autyomatically kept up to date so presume this would detect any virus in the Word attachment. However, could there be a danger for anyone who does not have AV protection?

Taff36 16:08 17 Jul 05

All sounds a bit familiar because I also run Avast. I thought I`d ticked the original message box that said something like "always do this action" or "don`t remind me again". Anyway, in my experience running Avast (or AVG/NAVMcAfee) we are not likely to get infected by a virus hidden in a Word Document, particularly from a trusted source. More likely to be in a zip file these days!

DieSse 16:10 17 Jul 05

"However, could there be a danger for anyone who does not have AV protection?"

Anyone who runs a system without AV protection is going to have much worse dangers than just Word documents. It's just asking for trouble.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…