Outlook Express Missing Folders

Farleyjim 10:07 09 Nov 05

Yesterday, I was doing some "tidying up" on my computer(pentium 4 XP Home). When I subsequently went on line I found that some of my Outlook Express folders were empty. At no time have I deleted anything. I have found what appear to be the missing folders in "Program Files/OE/Identities etc" but there seem to be some duplicates in the folder eg:Sent Items(1) along with Sent Items. Since I cannot find a way to restore the folders, I decided to do a system restore back to the last system reference point. However, no matter how far back I have gone in the system restore points my computer still refuses to restore. Any ideas, please?

Taff™ 11:11 09 Nov 05

Try copying the dbx files to another folder ("Store Folder") - Then use File>Import>Export to import them from the store folder.

Farleyjim 16:45 09 Nov 05

Thank you Taff, but when I try importing, it gives me a load of folders from which to import-not the folder I have created. I'm not sure what to try next.

Farleyjim 09:50 13 Nov 05

I have created a new folder and put all the required files in it but when I open Outlook Express and perform an import it tells me "The specified Message store could not be opened. It may be in use by OE". I have emptied the folder in the Program Files OE folder to try to "start afresh" but there are already the usual "Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, etc when I resart OE even before I perform an import and then when I do import, these folders are still empty. I've repeated many times but have still drawn a blank. Please help. I cannot get to my sent items and mail archives.
Fingers crossed that someone can help. Thanks.

Farleyjim 19:41 21 Nov 05

I've been going around in circles trying to restore my missing OE folders.I have done all the things I can think of but when I try to import from a stored folder,using "Browse", only about half the folders appear in the Import box. I know that the folders are in there because I put them in there using Windows Explore but only the standard folders are shown. Please, someone, tell me what I'm doing wrong. It is very frustrating not being able to access something which I know to be there. I have NOT deleted anything.

Taff™ 07:34 22 Nov 05

Sorry - Missed your last couple of posts. Try this link click here although it seems you have already tried this. Follow it carefully and post back exactly where it goes wrong. I have another trick up my sleeve but let`s try this one first.

Farleyjim 10:34 23 Nov 05

Thanks Taff
I have tried every trick I know but still cannot get my folders to import. I am just left with the standard ones which load each time you open OE.

Taff™ 12:19 23 Nov 05

OK Desperation Time. Make a note of all the folder names you want to import. Open OE and create folders with exactly the same names - you can ignore folders that exist with identical names such as inbox.dbx, outbox.dbx etc. Name one folder something memorable like "SCRAP" Close OE.

In Windows Explorer locate the folder for the dbx files that contain "SCRAP". This is your "Store Folder". Now go to the folder that contains your old dbx files - delete folders.dbx or move it somewhere else. Now copy all those files to the "store Folder" and overwrite (replace) the existing files. Re-open OE and post back with the results. (I`m out for a couple of hours so will check back.

Skyver 13:06 23 Nov 05

Make sure none of the folders or files are Read Only when trying to import.

jtt 13:13 23 Nov 05

This once happened to me. Nothing could get them back, so I assume they got corrupted. My lesson was to back them up regularly.

Farleyjim 20:09 23 Nov 05

Hello Taff
Just got back. I've done exactly as you said and ended up with the same result. Am I going crazy or am I missing something very basic? I can see the folders in Windows Explorer and I know they are my old folders because of their size, but they seem to stubbornly refuse to open in Outlook Express.I am tempted to give it up as a bad job but I also want to fix the problem. It's the best way to learn. Any further ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…