Outlook Express messages problem.

TOPCAT® 12:21 28 Apr 03

I am using WinMe and IE/OE6 SP1.

After a disk format, I installed my address book and messages from a backup Zip disk into OE6. They appear correctly in OE itself but also appear all over my desktop! They have the Wordpad icon and all have an archive attribute.

Clearing them from the desktop - by placing in a new desktop folder - also removes them from OE, and every time I open folders in OE new Wordpad icons appear on the desktop!

I tried a second backup utility but the result is the same. Any help gratefully appreciated. TC.

crx1600 12:34 28 Apr 03

a similar thread click here unresolved,but a few things to try.

DieSse 13:04 28 Apr 03

Check in OE where your message store folder is set to.

How did you get them back into OE - did you import themwithe wizard?

TOPCAT® 13:57 28 Apr 03

I used the backup made by the OE Backup Wizard utility. It transferred the backup files from the Zip disk to OE fine.

I now see my message store is Win\desktop! Where exactly should I change it to please? And should it be named 'folders.dbx' by any chance? TC.

DieSse 14:07 28 Apr 03

"I now see my message store is Win\desktop" - That's why they're on the desktop then!!

You can set it to anywhere, the standard place for WinME is C:\windows\Aplication data\Identities\(an identity)\Microsoft\Outlook Express

So, no, it shouldn't be named folders.dbx - this is just one of the files that should be in the folder

TOPCAT® 14:34 28 Apr 03

It seems I already have this folder in C:\Windows\Aplication data\Identities\(an identity)\Microsoft\Outlook Express. I've changed from desktop to this now, but have not run the backup again as most of the files in the C:\Win\Application data\xxxx have the Wordpad icons. Is this normal please? TC.

TOPCAT® 15:41 28 Apr 03

TOPCAT® 17:26 28 Apr 03

and installed the message backup again. This time I sent it to the C:\Windows\Application data\xxxxxxx\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Main Identity folder instead of direct to OE.

Manually imported messages, using OE's File menu, and successfully got all safely back into OE. Thanks for the help guys. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…