Outlook Express - Message Rules

johndrew 11:13 24 Feb 07

I have a number of Message Rules which delete unwanted e-mails on receipt. They are sent directly to the Deleted folder but still show up as `Unread`. Is there any way of making these e-mails `Read` as they are moved?

Thanks in anticipation.

Jackcoms 11:18 24 Feb 07

What does it matter?

They show as unread because you haven't read them.

Unless you read them they will always show as unread.

I assume, also, that you have OE set up to delete everything from the Deleted Items folder upon exit?

johndrew 11:34 24 Feb 07

I understand they show as unread because I haven`t read them, but I send them directly to the `Deleted` folder because I don`t want to read them.

I don`t delete the content of the Deleted folder on shutdown because I also delete other e-mails which, occasionally, I need to get back to.

Generally I clear everything I can before I backup each month. But of course this leaves those `Unread` e-mails glaring at me in the meanwhile.

Jackcoms 11:38 24 Feb 07

I think you'll have to live with it.

Short of going into the Deleted Items folder and reading those e-mails, there's no way around it.

johndrew 11:40 24 Feb 07

Could this be an improvement Microsoft could make I wonder!!!!!?

Belatucadrus 11:41 24 Feb 07

Open Outlook Express/Tools/Message Rules/Mail select the Mail rule in question and click "Modify" then go to Window No 2 "Select the actions for your rule:" scroll down a bit and then select the tick box against "Mark it as read". hit OK and that should do it.

johndrew 11:46 24 Feb 07

How did you get Microsoft to make that improvement so fast - and without an update!!!!

I missed the tick box twice whilst looking for it. Thanks very much for your help. Job done!!

pj123 13:07 24 Feb 07

"I don`t delete the content of the Deleted folder on shutdown because I also delete other e-mails which, occasionally, I need to get back to."

Make a folder in OE called Saved Emails and put them in there instead of deleting them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 24 Feb 07

I send them directly to the `Deleted` folder because I don`t want to read them.

Change the rule to "do not download from server" and you will never see them at all

johndrew 14:59 24 Feb 07

.. but Belatucadrus has put me right as I failed to see the tick box that I needed.

I have enough folders for the various categories of mail I receive - the most used being the Deleted folder - and this is good enough for those which I need to get back to (generally in the short term).

If I don`t download from the server I will probably run out of space at some point and screw myself up well and truly so, I think, this is the best way for me.

Many thanks again.

terryf 15:15 24 Feb 07

>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…