Outlook Express Mailbox

Spark6 10:06 27 Nov 03

I have received 2 'bounced message notifications' recently. The reasons given were that the messages would have exceeded my maibox quota.

At the same time I was advised to delete some messages from my mailbox to fix this problem.

As I check my mail on at least a daily basis what is the procedure for deleting messages from a mailbox?

As usual, all advice gratefully received.

TBH1 10:17 27 Nov 03

I had a similar problem using ntl webmail. Little did I know that the mail I deleted , which went into trash, was still using space allocation. I had to get into the trash folder and delete from there also. Of course if you don't use the webmail facility given by your iso and only use Outlook Express, I am afraid, once again, I am talking nonsense.

johnnyrocker 11:09 27 Nov 03

if using oe i would suggest looking at your sent box as well as deleted,also any 'saved' drafts etc it is a bit difficult to be completely accurate without more specifics.

johnny.

Spark6 13:48 27 Nov 03

TBH1 and johnnyrocker

Thanks for the prompt replies, I have now emptied the sent box, which incidentally had a number of messages, and try again.

Spark6 21:07 28 Nov 03

The problem remains!!!
The message I receive from 'admin' reads:
A message was sent to you that was returned to the sender(bounced)because it would have caused your mailbox quota to be exceeded.

The following is the reason that the message was over quota:
Quota Type: Max Message Size
Quota Available: 3145728
Total Quota: 3145728

To fix this problem, delete some messages from your mailbox, and contact the sender to resend the message.

I have followed admin's suggestions, but short of having the message 'zipped', I am at a loss to know what to do.

Spark6 21:11 28 Nov 03

A problem with the transmission.

Quota Type: Quota Available: and Total Quota: were typed on separate lines for clarity.

Nellie2 21:47 28 Nov 03

have you emptied your deleted items folder too?

Vlad 21:50 28 Nov 03

Are you simply emptying Outlook Express folders? It seems as though Outlook Express is not clearing your mail from the mail server after collecting it for you and the mail server inbox is clogged. Go to Tools, Accounts, Properties, Advanced and ensure that the box against "Leave a copy of messages on server is UNchecked. Outlook Express will then clear the server for future messages. However, you will have to log on to web mail to delete messages from your inbox on the server, or enlist the help of your ISP if they do not provide webmail access.

Spark6 22:16 28 Nov 03

Nellie 2 - Deleted items emptied.

Vlad - 'Leave a copy of messages on server' is unchecked.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

DieSse 23:20 28 Nov 03

It looks like someone is trying to send you a message (attachment) so large that the message itself is bigger than your quota - in which case you will never be able to receive it.

DieSse 23:21 28 Nov 03

Or reading it again - your quota has a maximum message size, and the message is larger than that - so the effect is the same - you will never be able to receive it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…