outlook express lost all e-mails

fullyfitted 13:08 26 Oct 07

outlook express lost all e-mails

using outlook express 6 and windows xp

I tried to make back up copy of my messages into a new folder in my documents. The imported file showed an error message that the file transfer had failed and suggested I tried again, deleted the file in my docs and went back to outlook express , no messages , no folders only the address book.
Now in deep trouble with my better half.
Have these gone forever or is there some place the may still be lurking on the hard drive ?

johnem 13:21 26 Oct 07

If you are running XP, try looking in "Local Settings", click on Application Data, click on identities, click on whatever number is displayed, expand to microsoft and then to Outlook Express. Hopefully all your dat will be there. If it is, then open Outlook Express, clik on file, import etc and try to import all of your messages back into Outlook Express. Hope this works.

fullyfitted 15:15 26 Oct 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\ and johnem

apologies for the delay in replying

thanks for the suggestions, I tried system restore before posting but no luck.

followed johnem advice and all I can locate are the main headings ie "inbox ,deleted items etc but no sub folders and no messages .

also did a search for *.dbx files but agin no luck

looks like the dog house for me

xania 15:48 26 Oct 07

Afraid can't help[ on the curent problem, but you may find this useful for the future - it will back up all your files and folders, your address book and your IE favorites. You can also set it up to remind you to take backups, which you can store on any media away from your PC for added safety.

I've used it for years

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:44 26 Oct 07

Have you restored your system to just prior to losing the emails?

G

fullyfitted 17:47 26 Oct 07

GANDALF <|:-)>

I had tried a system restore but just to safe i've gone back to monday's restore point and done it again.
No luck

I've also done a search for *.mbx files , again no joy

Thanks for trying

FF

johnem 19:19 26 Oct 07

Just a stupid thought, have you tried an undelete programme, it might possibly find the data. Slim chance. Normally these can find deleted files but not so sure about lost data. You could be having to learn to live on dog biscuits soon.

fullyfitted 19:55 26 Oct 07

johnem,

willing to try anything but what is an un-delete programme ?

johnem 20:05 26 Oct 07

I have not tried this software, but hopefully it does what is says on the tin.
click here
Please note the install instructions about installing it to a USB flash drive etc.

lotvic 23:24 26 Oct 07

have you looked in the recycle bin?

Graham. 23:29 26 Oct 07

Is your ISP Sky?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…