outlook express keeps asking for password

johnnyrocker 19:21 PM 12 Nov 11
Answered

after an infection the other day which took some solving my outlook express seems to have lost my password and keeps asking for it, this poses me a couple of problems as i still wish to use it and it was set up with a previous provider who i am sure would not offer any help, i have read up on the doug knox sugestion in an earlier post but i am reluctant to start playing with the registry, any other advice please?

johnny

rdave13 19:44 PM 12 Nov 11

Do you know the password?

johnnyrocker 19:47 PM 12 Nov 11

i thought i did but it seems not, i thought of siw but that seems to be of no help

johnny

rdave13 19:58 PM 12 Nov 11

A good read here, though I don't use Outlook Express.

Woolwell 21:46 PM 12 Nov 11

Is this relevant? Password saving

lotvic 22:11 PM 12 Nov 11

I am surprised that you say SIW was no help, when I run it it even tells me passwords of email accounts that I deleted over 3 years ago.

Where did you look in SIW?

johnnyrocker 19:44 PM 13 Nov 11

it comes up with no passwords at all lotvic.

johnny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 PM 13 Nov 11

In SIW free look under secrets.

If it is prompting the password box and you can see the username and the dots in place of the password then the only option is to do the reg edit.

lotvic 20:23 PM 13 Nov 11

Try this: Open SIW and click on Eureka! in top toolbar of SIW. Looks like a magnifying glass. A new window will open.

Also have open: Outlook Express | Tools | Accounts | highlight the email account | Properties | Servers tab |

if the password box has dots in then just grab the magnifying glass and drag it over the dots and the password can be read in the 'Window Text' box of Eureka!

or if you have the password prompt box as per Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's post then drag it over the dots in that box.

I'm not sure if it works if the dots are greyed out but worth a try.

johnnyrocker 22:00 PM 13 Nov 11

sorry lotvic there does not seem to be what you suggest?

johnny

lotvic 22:20 PM 13 Nov 11

Do you mean no dots in either: Password box in Accounts in OE, or in Password prompt?

or do you mean your version of SIW does not have Eureka! on top toolbar? (look in Tools dropdown menu)

I am using: System Information for Windows 2010 (build 0714g) Freeware Version

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites