Outlook Express incompatibility w/Gmail

Muergo 17:10 31 Oct 10

My e-mail messages sent to two of my friends are received as a long page of symbols with the text spread out inbetween, just like the "Properties" or other analysing page gives.

Both are sent from my P.C. using Outlook Express through my TalkTalk ISP network and theirs are received on Google G-Mail, on both PC and Apple Mac.

It does not happen on their messages to me.

XPSP3.

Batch 17:49 31 Oct 10

What outgoing (SMTP) server do you have set-up for Gmail in OE? I use smtp.gmail.com (not my ISP's SMTP server)

Unlike many other mail accounts, you can send through gmail servers even if you're broadband connection isn't Google (it wouldn't be, would it). Contrast this with sending a mail from a tiscali address using PlusNet as ISP - one would have to use the PlusNet SMTP server.

Now, having said that, I can't say that this has anything to do with your prob. But you never know.

Woolwell 18:15 31 Oct 10

I don't think that he needs a different smtp server for gmail. As I understand it e-mails are being sent from a TalkTalk address to a gmail address.

Muergo - Please confirm that my understanding is correct.

Are you sending html or plain text?

Muergo 20:14 31 Oct 10

Woolwell has it spot on, It's very straightforward, I just use My Talk Talk address and the only trouble , to my knowledge , are these two friends who have gmail. Out of about 400 in my address book these are the only ones giving trouble.Maybe if I check some others I could find more, but noone else has had this trouble.

HTML text used.

If I run through my frequrent contacts I will see if any are using gmail.

I thought that it might be a common glitch just alter a setting and all tickety boo??

Here is a sample =

xml:lang="en-GB" xmlns="click here"><HEAD><TITLE>London - £3 instead of £21.97 for a full day of paintballing including full equipment hire and 100 paintballs at Delta Force</TITLE> <META content="text/html; charset=utf-7" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876"> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" bgColor=#f6f3e8> <DIV><FONT face=Verdana>see other email with link</FONT></DIV> <DIV

There are about two sentences of my message buried in there.

Woolwell 21:27 31 Oct 10

I suspect that both recipients have got it set up so that they read plain text only. What you have posted is html. See this click here on how to turn on and off html.

Are the recipients using OE or reading gmail through a browser? I suspect that they are using OE or another e-mail client. The problem is probably at their end and if they switched to reading html then they would get your text.

Muergo 15:11 01 Nov 10

So what you say is that my HTML is normally used and that they are out of line? They don't use OE, both are on Apple Mac and another message system.

Why would they use plain text and why are they getting trouble with me only, is this a quirk of OE?

Have asked them to check and change, waiting for replies.

So what you say is that my HTML is normally used and that they are out of line? They don't use OE, both are on Apple Mac and another message system.

Why would they use plain text and why are they getting trouble with me only, is this a quirk of OE?

Muergo 15:12 01 Nov 10

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac