outlook express inbox problem

nhojnhoj35 15:17 18 Jan 05

my computer locked up earlier today whilst using outlook express and needed a forced shutdown. when i rebooted it the inbox in OE was empty. there were several hundred messages just disappeared.

i looked in the folders store that outlook express uses and discovered that it has created a new inbox called `inbox(1).dbx which is being displayed. the proper inbox, `ibox.dbx` is no longer in use.

why has outlook express done this and how can i change it back so it is using the correct folder as the inbox?

i would be grateful of any help. thank you

BurrWalnut 15:35 18 Jan 05

Find the location of the mail boxes via OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance Tab and click Store Folder. Close OE.

Using explorer navigate to it and move the inbox(1).dbx to a different location. Go to the new location and rename it to inbox.dbx.

Now simply copy the correct inbox to the Store Folder location. If should ask if you want to overwrite it, say yes.

Open OE and it should be back to normal.

vitrocmax 15:37 18 Jan 05

I have just moved the .dbx files from an older PC and got into the same situation that OE didn't see the folder, so I made up a 'workround' by changing filenames.

I don't know what happened, but if you create a new folder in OE it will create a new .dbx file. Change the new file it creates to something else, and change your old folder to the name with the (1) in the filename. Next time you open OE it should have picked up your old files.

It worked for me, it may not be the right way but see how you go.

BurrWalnut 15:39 18 Jan 05

Sorry I read your post wrongly. I think your mail is in inbox.dbx, you can tell by the size of it. This is the one you want to move elsewhere.

Once the good one is moved, go back to the store folder and delete any inbox files. Open OE and a new, empty one will be created. Close OE and copy the good one to the Store Folder.

4j 15:39 18 Jan 05

Without any notice it was impossible to send email with an attachment or an email containing a long text. No one seems to know te remedy to this problem. The error means that the timeoutlimit for the server has ended and it is impossible to send the email. There is no problem in recieving emails. Nothing was changed to the parameters for the accounts. Even the providers seem to have no answer to this problem. Can anyone help !!! Please?

J Lauwers

vitrocmax 15:42 18 Jan 05

You probably have the right way, BurrWalnut.

My reason for making a workaround by changing filenames is because I had several emails in the new inbox that I wanted to keep, so I didn't want to overwrite it.

Now if you know a way to merge messages...

nhojnhoj35 15:58 18 Jan 05

thanks for these quick replies but let me just clarify for you...

the original inbox (ie. inbox.dbx) is the one where all the messages are that OE is not displaying

the new inbox (ie. inbox(1).dbx) is what OE has started to use as the inbox

so, on this basis can i just go to my original inbox (ie inbox.dbx) and change its name to say `recover.dbx?. This should then be listed by OE as a folder called `recover`?

have i got that right?

the confusion for me is why OE is not displaying both these folders. ie one folder called inbox and one folder called inbox(1)

nhojnhoj35 16:00 18 Jan 05

i should add.. if i then have the messages displayed in OE in a folder called recover, i can just move the contents of this folder to the inbox

vinnyo123 16:07 18 Jan 05

The presence of Inbox [1].dbx indicates that Inbox.dbx was damaged somehow (your Identity)
and replaced automatically by OE by this file.

The one without a number [e.g., Inbox.dbx] is the
one currently in use by OE*.

If Inbox.dbx is indeed the file in question, possible fixes would include:

Export your acccounts underTools|Accounts|
Export, then create a new Identity under
File|Identities|Add New Identity.
When asked to enter an email account,
click Cancel. Then use Tools|Accounts|Import to import the backups you just made.
Then import your mail folders (news won't import though!). If the new Identity works properly , you can go back to Manage Identities
and delete the original, and then manually delete the original store
folder of *.dbx files.

Possible causes:

Don't use Inbox, Sent Items or any other default folder to archive messages. Move them to local folders created for this purpose.

Disable Background Compacting (N/A in SP2) and frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline".

"This was interesting and I did some research.I found a few resolutions.This one seemed logical to create new account(new .dbx files).You can do a google search and double check(great tool)for yourself or wait for another opinion"

hope it helps!

vitrocmax 16:12 18 Jan 05

I found that simply putting a .dbx file in the folder that OE uses doesn't automatically add it to the 'folders' view. I had to create a new folder in OE to allow it so be seen in the folders view and change the names in explorer.

When i tried 'Import...' I got an error message (sorry, don't remember what it was) hence the workaround.

nhojnhoj35 17:11 18 Jan 05

thanks for all help. one way or another i resolved the issue.

i did as vinny0123 suggested and set up a new identity but the export and import didnt work so i cut and pasted the inbox (inbox.dbx) from the old identity to the new identity. the empty new identity inbox was overwritten by the one i pasted. this then displayed my inbox contents in the new identity. i deleted the last few messages in case there was something dodgy in there.

then i hit a couple of problems because the new inbox in my old identity (inbox(1).dbx didnt take too kindly to being renamed or moved.
in the end i deleted it and then renamed my original inbox as inbox (1).dbx and pasted it in the original identity folder.
probably a bit arse about face but i got there eventually.
thanks again :>)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…