Outlook Express huge files

Carafaraday 09:44 26 Jul 07

I back up my OE evey few days using a program called Express Assist. Within 5 days the back up file size has doubled from 40mb to 104. On checking the dbx files, I see that the deleted file folder claims to have 20mb in it although I have just emptied it - and similarly the sent file has 20mb in it.
Does anyone have any idea what has caused this?

johndrew 10:35 26 Jul 07

Try deleting the backup file and creating a new one. It could be you have backed up at some point without deleting something.

Carafaraday 10:57 26 Jul 07

Thank you for your reply - I've tried that but with no change. I believe the problem arose when I sent a large email (photos attached). It seems that this has somehow got stuck in both the deleted file and the sent file, although I can't see it there. If I go to the deleted file in OE it is empty, but the dbx file hidden in the depths of the pc indicates that there is 20mb there. Any other suggestions most welcome.

Carafaraday 11:10 26 Jul 07

Does anyone know what would happen if I simply delete the deleted file dbx? Will OE automatically create a new one, or will I totally mess up the system?

Input Overload 11:13 26 Jul 07

Yes if you delete the file next time you run OE it will be recreated.

Carafaraday 11:19 26 Jul 07

Thank you Input Overload - will give that a try.

Carafaraday 11:28 26 Jul 07

All sorted now - deleted outbox, deleted files, and sent files - back up now down to 26m. Many thanks..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant