Outlook Express - how do I re-install?

amyfleur 15:04 14 Jan 05

I have read many threads to find the appropriate help but still cannot find the answer.

I cannot use OE with my ISP - Wanadoo. I have tried every possible permutation and contacted Wanadoo loads of times. I have done everything they tell me to do, with no joy.

Whenever I open OE I can see my emails sitting in the Inbox and I can read them in the lower viewing pane. I can even copy and paste them into Wordpad. But I cannot reply, forward, or make a new email in Outlook Express.

I can send emails from Wanadoo's email facility but I am not getting them ALL coming in AND sometimes when I click on an email to open it just disappears. Therefore I really need to be able to use Outlook Express. I need to set up another email address for my husband as well which I can only do by using OE.

Outlook Express tells me "The Address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured, please re-install."

I don't know how to re-install OE. Would it be on my 'Restore' discs that came with the PC? But then if I use them they will over-write EVERYTHING on my PC and I really don't want that to happen as I have hundreds of photos with links to them all!

Can I reload from another source? Will I have to reload my ISP's disc in order to reconfigure their settings to Outlook Express?

Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:24 14 Jan 05

1. IF ERROR 503 This mail server requires authentication. Please check your mail client settings.
In OE go to Tools > Accounts > Properties > Servers tab and tick the box 'My server requires authentication'

2. Repair OE with system file checker
sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows, explorer, IE and outlook / outlook express.

This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

3. Possible reasons for no outgoing email
Firewall blocking
smtp settings incorrect
antivirus email scanner blocking / delteing mail

rawprawn 16:02 14 Jan 05

Control Panel / Add or Remove Prorams / Add or Remove windows Components Highlight Outlook Express Click Next. You will probably need your disc.

rawprawn 16:03 14 Jan 05

PS. Make sure Outlook Express box is ticked

amyfleur 19:35 14 Jan 05

Fruit Bat:

I have done No. 1

I have tried No. 2 - my PC says "Windows cannot find flc/scannow"

I have done a search for scannow - cannot find it on my hard disk!

I am now going to try to re-install Outlook Express as per your directions.

I'll be back.

BurrWalnut 19:53 14 Jan 05

The command is SFC then a single space then /SCANNOW. I have used capitals for clarity.

amyfleur 20:27 14 Jan 05

Done the scan. Still cannot open OE though.

I am still getting: "The Address Book failed to load" etc.

What shall I try next?

jack 20:27 14 Jan 05

In the event that perchance OE6 has corrupted
Take virually any PCA cover disk, go to the internet tab, select IE6 click on install[ and let it overwrite all] carefully select the options you need. Then follow the setting up mail account intruction in tools given above

amyfleur 21:08 14 Jan 05

rawprawn: I tried yours and got the following:

Setup was unable to build the list of files to copy for “MSN Explorer.” The specific error code is Oxe0000102. Setup will continue but the component may not function properly.

jack: I put in my January PCA cover disk - got sent to Microsoft. Tried to download IE6 and it said that I had a newer version. So I tried again, not sure what it was but still cannot get OE to work.

Any more tricks pleas?

GaT7 21:35 14 Jan 05

Do an IE repair, which takes care of repairing OE as well click here. G

amyfleur 16:07 17 Jan 05

I have done exactly that. I asked for my "Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD", which fortunately I received with my PC Advisor mag.

Following the instructions after the search, I had to right click on Windows/ie.inf and click on 'install'.

These are the instructions I got however:

"The file IXPLORE.EXE on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK."

After clicking onto the 'D' drive with my XP SP2 in, I got:

Locate File

File not found.

Where now please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…