Outlook express and hotmail

HauxtonPhil 19:58 10 Feb 05

Not my day today. Visited a new client with prob with OE. She uses Hotmail for her email and uses OE to handle it (I've not seen this set up before). When she launches OE and does send/receive, it tries to access hotmail, then says it can't connect. if she restarts the computer its just the same, then on another power up - all is well! We know that the password is correct, because we can pick up the mail via IE, and sometimes it works on OE. Anybody any thoughts on this?

HauxtonPhil 19:59 10 Feb 05

Sorry - should have said - Windows XP, OE and IE6, BT Broadband.

Also stargely announces that Norton is switched off - which it isn't!!

GBL 20:07 10 Feb 05

Just my thoughts, could it be Nortons or some other Anti Virus protection stopping it with the e-mail scan. I had this before checking the settings in all including XP built in Firewall, then it worked fine.

hatrickj 20:32 10 Feb 05

OT I know but I believe that the facility to deal with hotmail through OE is being withdrawn in the not to distant future. Something to do with security?

hatrickj 20:36 10 Feb 05

Here is the story about it

click here

shaun10 12:54 11 Feb 05

This isn't curing my problem of the password being asked for every time I try and access and then get a photo prompt to type in -- then around and around but this is on MSN not sure if it means both ways
Barry

To protect our users from the increasing amount of unsolicited junk e-mail or spam sent from MSN Hotmail Sympatico Mail accounts through Outlook and Outlook Express, we have reluctantly had to restrict the new use of Outlook and Outlook Express to subscribers.
By making this feature part of a subscription, (which requires a user to provide billing information), we can more effectively manage and put a stop to abuse of this functionality, and help protect you and others from unsolicited mail.
If you purchase a subscription service such as MSN Hotmail Plus or MSN Premium, you get access to your account from Outlook or Outlook Express, along with many other added features. To see other benefits of upgrading your MSN Hotmail Sympatico Mail or MSN Sympatico/MSN accounts or to create a new subscription account please visit our subscription information page.