Outlook Express hangs freezes on startup

KwaK 13:24 16 Dec 03

Hi all,

Outlook Express on my bosses PC at work has suddenly started to freeze/hang on starting the application.

I have searched here, Microsofts Knowledge Base, I have done a Google search but nowt shows up :o(

The screen just remains black and the pointer changes to a hourglass.

Windows 98 OE 6

Can anyone help?

Jester2K II 13:28 16 Dec 03

Got anti virus running?

Disable it first (AVG does this from time to time)

Then open OE. Once open have a good clear out of your folders and then compact them.

Lozzy 13:29 16 Dec 03

Carry out a repair, via add remove programs

KwaK 13:44 16 Dec 03

Thanks Jester2K,

I shutdown the AVG control center and Outlook Express worked perfectly.

How can I stop this from happening again or should I wait for the next update and see it that resolves the problem?

Thanks again.

(I shall tick resolved later just incase anyone else can instruct me on the conflict)

Jester2K II 13:48 16 Dec 03

The problem is your folders are too big. Delete as many e-mails as you don't need as AVG scans all folders as OE opens - too many attachments and it'll hang....

Save attachments to folders on the hard drive and delete the messages. Delete the deleted items.

Once thats done ...

Tools Menu, Options, Maintainance, Clean Up now, Compact. Close OE and even with AVG runing all should be well.

Jester2K II 13:49 16 Dec 03

Really try and get attachments out of OE and saved onto the hard drive. These take up the most room and need the longest scans...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…