Outlook Express and googlemail / gmail prob

StephenRogers 22:47 11 Feb 07

I've been using outlook express to get my gmail emails for years now with no problems.

In the last couple of months outlook express has got stuck at 'securing' when I try to send and receive.

I think (not completely sure) that it is happening more in the late afternoon and evening, and gets stuck less often in the morning.

I've tried using the gmail autoconfiguration tool for outlook express - made no difference. Can't find anything useful on the googlemail help pages.

It's driving me to distraction - any suggestions gratefully received. cheers

StephenRogers 23:18 11 Feb 07

I found the googlemail POP troubleshooter at:
click here
which didn't actually help on this occasion (came up with a problem that it couldn't resolve - invited me to send a message outlining the problem which generated an automatic response suggesting I use the troubleshooter)
i ran the autoconfiguration tool another couple of times, in sheer frustration. I'm now in the interesting position of having two identical accounts set up in outlook express which are both my default account. it then started working properly, ho humm

i'm not closing this thread yet as it's an intermittent fault so I'll need to see if it continues to behave.

Spark6 23:43 11 Feb 07

I have had a Gmail account for a couple of months but was unaware that it could be accessed through OE. My method has been via my browser, how is it accessed through OE?

Thanks in anticipation.

StephenRogers 14:50 12 Feb 07

In your gmail page on the browser:

settings

forwarding and POP

enable POP

configuration instructions

all the best

Stephen

StephenRogers 19:17 12 Feb 07

..and still more of a problem in the evenings

anyone else suffered with this?

StephenRogers 20:19 25 Feb 07

...am I really the only person who's come across this?

I am now officially grovelling and pleading

please help

thank you

Stephen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…