Outlook Express - Going round in circles!

Charlie Babbage 11:15 11 Jan 07

A friend is having a problem with his OE v. 6.0 connection. The Internet connection is Broadband. However, when you click on the Send/receive button in Outlook the Dial-Up connection box appears which has various connections. I choose 'Speedtouch'.

It starts to attempt to connect but then he gets an error message stating that the password has been rejected. I have deleted the mail account and set up a new noe but the error still occurs. We are sure that the username and password are ok. I have also reinstalled IE/OE.

Is there anything else we can try or is this a problem at the server end?

recap 11:50 11 Jan 07

Try the following: In Outlook Express Open Tools/Options on the Connections tab take the tick out of "Ask before changing Dial-Up Connection". This may stop OE from dialing out.

Batch 09:23 12 Jan 07

In OE, go to Tools, Accounts, click on the Mail tab, click on the email account, select Properties, click on the Connection tab and uncheck "Always connect to this account using", click OK.

johnnyrocker 09:48 12 Jan 07

in oe tools/internet options/connections and make sure you have a dot in never dial a connection.

johnny.

Charlie Babbage 15:07 15 Jan 07

.. fyi (!) - only found this out after phoning the ISP.

The error message was misleading! I opened OE and went to Tools > Accounts > Properties (for the default mail settings).

On clicking on Servers tab, I found that the Account Name was only shown as 'richard' rather than '[email protected]'. After correcting the Account Name, we were able to download the emails!

Nevertheless, many thanks for your attempts to help us!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac