outlook express freezing

pellim 18:28 08 Dec 07

I've had this problem for a week or so.
All will be fine as I read my email, then suddenly as I click on a fresh email, Outlook Express shows a message: " The message could not be displayed because of low memory or low disk space." Everything freezes.
At the time of the freeze, I usually have about 21GB free space on my hard drive, and CPU usage registers between 5% to 15%.
I go back to my home page and all is working normally.
Outlook Express stays frozen for maybe a halfhour, then unfreezes and I'm able to complete what I want to do.
I'd be grateful for any ideas on what goes wrong.

MAJ 18:31 08 Dec 07

If you have the Preview Pane open, close it, from OE > View > Layout. It's a security risk in any case.

mfletch 18:55 08 Dec 07

Hi, Have you got a lot of messages in your inbox?

If yes delete some or move some to another file to see if that helps,

mfletch

VoG II 18:58 08 Dec 07

Try File > Folder > Compact all Folders.

skidzy 19:02 08 Dec 07

As said,have a cleanup first and reboot,if OE carries on playing up-try re-registering OE.

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type msimn /reg, and then click OK.
(Note that you will not see anything happen.)

In Internet Explorer click Options on the Tools menu.

Click the Programs tab and select Outlook Express as the default e-mail client and as the default news client. You can change those later if you wish.

And / Or

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll

pellim 19:54 08 Dec 07

Thank you everybody who replied.
I've had a severe clean-up of my bulging inbox. I've realised that I'm as bad a hoarder on the PC as I am in my flat. ( Well, I just might need those emails....)
The Deletion box must have had indigestion - it put up a final "can't display message - check for low disk space" etc. Then it gulped and behaved itself.
I'm sure that the problem's been dealt with,and I've made notes of skidzy's suggestions if it recurs.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…