Outlook Express - exported messages

Graham. 23:39 24 Sep 07

I can see them in C, Docs and Settings, Owner, Recent. How do I get them back in OE?

I am looking to retrieve an attached photo.

beeuuem 23:59 24 Sep 07

How did you export them and in what format?
If they are .dbx files and you know the location dbxtract click here will retrieve the files as mails to a folder of your choice.

Graham. 09:13 25 Sep 07

Thanks, I exported them by OE-File, Export. I got the message 'Exporting to MS Outlook or MS Exchange'. And off they went, they,ve all gone.

I've done a search for dbx files, but that only found the most recent mail (I can recover that with the attached pictures, using that program you gave the link for).

So the question is, where are the rest? And in what form?

lotvic 22:19 25 Sep 07

If click here is what you have done then your email messages are now *.pst files instead of *.dbx and are in Outlook in the account 'Owner'

quote/""
1. On the File menu, point to Export, and then click Messages.
2. Click OK in the following message:
This will export messages from Outlook Express Mail to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange.
. Note: If Outlook is not open, select the profile that you want to receive the messages, and then click OK.
3. Click to select either All or Selected Folders to export, and then click OK.
The folders and contents will appear in the Inbox of the selected profile in Outlook. The date and time of each message are the date and the time that you exported the messages from Outlook Express.
/""end quote

*.pst files click here
""Outlook.pst is stored in the <drive>:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder.""

Graham. 22:33 25 Sep 07

Thanks for that, I was getting nowhere with dbx files.

Graham. 22:41 25 Sep 07

OK. I've found the Outlook pst files and dragged them to the Desktop.

Graham. 23:29 25 Sep 07

All I need now is Outlook to export them back to OE.

beeuuem 00:04 26 Sep 07

Have you tried importing the files into Outlook Express via File > Import > Messages > Outlook?

lotvic 00:57 26 Sep 07

I would suggest that you put the pst files back and then open Outlook and read the email(s) and retrieve the attached photo that you want and then save it to 'My Pictures' or wherever you want

I do not think that you can import *.pst files into Outlook Express (but please correct me if it is possible)

beeuuem 01:19 26 Sep 07

From click here Messages from other e-mail programs. Including Netscape and Eudora. You can also import messages from many Microsoft products, such as Outlook or older versions of Outlook Express.
Although I don't normally use Outlook I have tried this and it does work

Graham. 08:55 26 Sep 07

That's what was needed. Saved me looking on Ebay for Outlook.

Selected folders imported back to Outlook Express. Although I don't have Outlook, I could navigate to the file on the Desktop and select the file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…