Outlook Express Excel attachments opening in Word

Ether 11:30 15 Mar 04

When I open an Excel attachment in Outlook Express it opens in Word instead of Excel. How can I stop this so that Excel attachments will open in Excel? Any help would be appreciated.

temp003 11:37 15 Mar 04

Have you got Excel installed on your computer? If not, maybe that's why Word kicks in to open it.

If you have Excel installed already, try right click the attachment and save it to your hard disk, then open the copy on your hard disk.

Ether 11:44 15 Mar 04

Thanks, I have Excel installed. I think there is a setting somewhere in either Word, Excel or Outlook Express that may be doing this but I cannot find it.

temp003 11:55 15 Mar 04

Does it only happen with Excel attachments in Outlook Express? That is, if you double click other excel files on your computer, they will open in Excel properly?

Ether 12:25 15 Mar 04

Yes there is no problem in opening Excel files if I go into Excel to open them. If I try and open an Excel file from Windows Explorer it opens in Word with a footer in the window saying that it is converting the file to Word! So now I think that it is nothing to do with Outlook Express but something in the settings of either Word or Excel.Do you have any ideas?

Dipso 12:45 15 Mar 04

If you right click on the attachment, do you get the option Open with? If not try dragging the attachment to another location, (your desktop) and do it there. If you get the option, "Open with", choose Excel and tick the "always open with this program"(or similar) message.

If you are running Win98 you may have to hit shift and right click at the same time.

temp003 13:00 15 Mar 04

Yep, you've got the wrong file association. Dipso's suggestion should correct it. If you can't find the option, post back.

Ether 15:13 15 Mar 04

Dipso's suggestion seems to have done the trick. Excel files are now opening in Excel both in OE and in Windows Explorer.

Thank you both for all your help. Much appreciated. Cheers Ether

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…