outlook express error messages

capnsofa 16:52 11 Jul 08

I have just switched on my PC and find that although I can connect with the Internet (obviously!), when I attempt to read my e-mails via Outlook Express I get the following messages:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.wanadoo.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.wanadoo.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.wanadoo.co.uk', Server: 'pop.wanadoo.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I seem to recall something similar happening some time ago and when I contacted the Orange Help Line, I became involved in a very long conversation, charged at premium rates - and I cannot recall how the problem was solved!
Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this problem myself.
I do come under the heading of 'Beginner'!!!

brundle 17:20 11 Jul 08

If you have not changed anything since the last time you checked / sent mail, do not adjust your settings simply close Outlook Express, reopen it and try again later.
If this has not resolved your problem you need to check your Outlook Express settings, making sure that the POP3 and SMTP servers are as in the screenshots, and that your full user name and password are correct.

From click here

Ignore the TCP/IP reset - if you can connect to the internet TCP/IP is fine.

brundle 17:21 11 Jul 08

Check your firewall and anti-virus settings too, especially if the latter is set to scan emails.

grey george 20:34 11 Jul 08

It may just be that your isp is doing some work on their mail server. Look at their webpage to see if they report any faults. Wait a few hours and try again.

thetic 12:50 13 Jul 08

I am having the same problem with my outlook express emails. But its only with my laptop. my desktop is ok? Doing my head in thats about a week since its started doing this.

capnsofa 09:40 16 Jul 08

Thanks for your help with this.
I went through the settings and found that part of my user name was missing!!!
After re-entering it, all is now OK!
Have another problem now, but will submit this separately!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…