Outlook Express Error Code??

Landy Man 17:04 24 Mar 04

I am trying to get OE set up to use an existing email address on a new computer (running w2000)and I am getting an error message :-

Socket Error: 11001, Error Number 0x800CCC0D. Anyone know wher I can get an (English!!) explanation of this? Yet another Microsft gem, I dont think the EU should fine them £300m though, I reckon £1billion would actually get Gate's attention!.

Any help appreciated, many thanks

beeuuem 17:17 24 Mar 04

From click here

Symptoms

When you try to send or receive e-mail messages in Outlook Express, you may receive an error message that your Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) or Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) host could not be found (error code 0x800CCC0D).

Cause
This behavior can occur when POP3 or SMTP server account information is incorrect on your computer. If your account information is correct, behavior can be caused by the connection to your Internet service provider because the e-mail servers may be unavailable for reasons such as maintenance.
Resolution

To resolve this behavior, verify that you are using the correct account settings for your assigned e-mail servers. You can obtain the server information from your ISP or local area network (LAN) administrator. To verify the settings for your Internet E-mail account:

anon1 18:07 24 Mar 04

You are being a bit harsh attacking microsoft for something that is probably your own fault. make sure you have set up the isp details correctly ie smtp and pop

Landy Man 18:23 24 Mar 04

I am not attacking Microsoft for this one problem. I hate them. It is long. long overdue that every goverment in world takes action against them. Perhamps the EU should next look at the issue of supplying product that does not work propoerly. Thank God Microsoft do not make planes, no one would ever fly again!!!!! I would just love 5 minutes with Gated to tell him what I, and a great many others, think of his rubbish software. His supression of competition of course making it possible to keeo selling it. p.s. I hear the next (yawn) version of Windows is Windowa OTAW. (OTAW meaning One That Actually Works)

GaT7 18:52 24 Mar 04

Did beeuuem's suggestions help?

[PS - If there was a better overall alternative to MS Windows who wouldn't drop Microsoft?]

anon1 18:56 24 Mar 04

so that beggars the question why do you use windows and not linux

Landy Man 10:01 25 Mar 04

Thanks Beeuem, followed the tips, spoke to the ISP and they were apparentky in the emiddle of a change!. 1 hour later it all worked again.

Crossbow7 and Annon1, I would really like to try Linux. Do all the usual progrqmmes work with it? Would Microsoft Office work, or is there a sneaky code section that will stop it. Odds on there is.

Before anyone asks, I hate Officre as well, but have to use it due to it's market dominance. Lotus Smartsuite is far, far better, but even the kids are being brainwashed at school into having to use Office.

GaT7 19:01 25 Mar 04

Hi again Landy Man. I couldn't really be bothered which OS, software, etc., as long as I like it & it gets it's job done reasonably well. I don't like Microsoft but I don't detest them either.

Yes, why don't you try Linux? I've never tried it myself.

You can start off slowly by retaining Windows while giving Linux a shot. There're methods of having Windows & Linux on the same PC - dual or multi-booting as it's called. Here's one - click here . For some simple OS multiboot advice - click here

Google search for [dual] boot linux windows - click here - gives a lot of additional info.

These articles may interest you too (I like them as they don't contain too much of jargon):

1. Why isn't Linux like Windows? - click here

2. Linux for beginners - Part 1: click here , Part 2: click here , Part 3: click here , Part 4: click here

3. Many more Linux articles here: click here (Click on the Pervious & Next buttons to see more.) . Again a Google search with the right keywords will provide even more info if you require it.

If you do go ahead & try it please post back to the Forum. I'm sure many of us would be curious to know how it went (incl. yours truly!). Good luck, G

PS - if some links don't work please let me know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…