Outlook Express doesn't disconnect fully

sheila.weston 17:35 26 Jul 06

I have set my pc to disconnect from the internet if it is unused for more than ten minutes or so. The computer says that it has disconnected, but I cannot use the 'phone line until I have manually gone into Outlook Express and clicked on the 'Working Online'wording at the bottom of the screen.

How do I make the pc disconnect fully?

Sheila

Stuartli 18:17 26 Jul 06

Are you using dialup?

sheila.weston 08:09 27 Jul 06

Yes.

Stuartli 08:32 27 Jul 06

From the Connections tab in Internet Explorer's Internet Options, have you ticked both Disconnect if Idle and Disconnect if Not Needed boxes after highlighting your ISP>Settings>Advanced button?

It's your comment about "after 10 minutes or so" which is a little puzzling - it's a fixed period to your requirements that has to be set i.e. five minutes, 10 minutes, 12 minutes or whatever.

Stuartli 08:50 27 Jul 06

Some more help may be found here:

click here

DialupMon from:

click here (freeware)

sheila.weston 12:04 28 Jul 06

Yes, both 'disconnect if idle' and disconnect if not needed' are ticked. It is set at 'after 20 minutes' actually. Apologies about the vagueness - I couldn't remember how many I had set it at and was too lazy to check!

Thanks for the URLs. Am downloading Dialupmon, which seems to be just what I need.

Will mark this as resolved and come back if necessary. Thanks, again.
Sheila

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…