Outlook Express and Desktop Shortcuts

Intrigued 22:06 09 Apr 03

Hi all,

A freind's PC running w98, IE6 & OE6. Whenever OE is accessed some, or all of the following shortcuts sometimes appear on the desktop:

sent items.dbx

These are all un-associated icons (have the windows logo). His desktop was covered in em! I deleted all of them & everything was OK untill I used OE - then they started to re-appear. Anyone seen anything like this before?

He is also having problems in general with internet connections dropping after a few minutes - but I'm working on that one!

woodchip 22:11 09 Apr 03

As he a virus

Intrigued 22:13 09 Apr 03

Have done a viruscheck using existing McAffee s/ware - seems OK (although I will make sure he has latest definitions tomorrow...!)

woodchip 22:21 09 Apr 03

Run the IE repair tool in Add/Remove double click on Microsoft Internet Explorer

woodchip 22:21 09 Apr 03

PS also run SFC from start/run

Intrigued 22:28 09 Apr 03

Hi woodchip,

ran sfc + IE repair - also re-installed IE from the latest Freeserve disk (he's already on Freeserve). Have also de-fragged & run scandisk, am beggining to think I may have to re-format & start from scratch (not a bad thing as he's tried to install 2 joysticks unsuccessfully & goodness knows what else!!! - lol)

woodchip 22:33 09 Apr 03

Have you tried the tweak UI tool to repair icons from click here top one in the list unzip then right click on .inf file choose install it resides in Control Panel you can repair system files also with it

Intrigued 22:44 09 Apr 03

No - have'nt tried TweakUI - will give it a go tomorrow. Thnx woodchip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…